Chapter 5 - Catacombs

An hour ago

The double doors banged, men barred the doors from the inside with a long horizontal chair. There was no point counting what left of them, only Glen, Sam and a couple of rebel guys.

"We should be safe for now..." said Sam with a barely a breath to spare

"You sure, this old cathedral isn't gonna hold with a few rockets you know!" replied Glen with a sarcastic tone

"Well, if the Peacekeepers and the Junoan church treaty still apply, then yeah, we're safe."

"That sort of paper contracts is way back on the past." Glen stepped back a little. They whole placed was torched down, no doubt, yet some of the wood made furniture remained,

"Guess Izzy's tale was true then, the Dominion really did torched down this place..." swaying his head as he looked at the ash cathedral, the ceiling was ravaged, there was an uneasy feeling of exposure for everyone within the place.

They began exploring the cathedral. The sudden solemnity struck Glen the most. After the relentless bullet dodging and firefight outside, he realize there was some peace to be found within the battlefield.

The bronze candles were either melted away or remained missing after all this time. The hall contains at least 12 rows of those long chairs, they were charred, black, and was almost ready to drop.

"Hmph, looking good sister Juno." said Glen upon seeing a façade of the sculpture of earth goddess Juno on the middle of the church's stage.

"Not, really a religious person I take it?" she chuckled

"Just a compliment to mother earth."

There was a burned tome lying above the pedestal, as one of the rebel was eager to flip a page it broke down to ashes, surprised of course.

The silence was later break as an Aspekt fly by over the roof. They took cover somewhere on the shadows, the aircraft floated visibly to the entire team, they kept their head down for a while. And then it flies away. They stand up. Glen knew they have to get outta there fast.

"We need to find another way, Peacekeepers gonna show up anytime soon!"

"I concur, even they did sign those papers back then, it is likely they'll send a search team to find us." Sam agreed

"Any ideas you know on getting out of this place?"

"That, I do. The cathedral is pre-liberty therefore they had those catacombs used not only for the dead but also to shelter the villagers when the Dominion came to Ditch." Sam explained

"That's our ticket outta here."

Glen's radio rings, he immediately took it from his pocket.

"It's Krey" then he answers

"Sam? Glen? Glen, its Krey!"

"Krey? You're alive? What about Izzy?" he scratches his head as he walks around

"Izzy and I are safe, where the hell are you guys?" said Krey from the radio, it's getting choppy fast.

"We're hauled up on the old cathedral, and I think we're safe, atleast for now."  he looks at Samaire

"Alright, now what are we going to do? Plans screwed..." Glen paused, Krey was right, plan just had to get wrong but he knew it was all or nothing by then.

He took a deep sigh

"Even the best laid plan doesn't seem to work anymore does it? Well, we're not going home empty handed. I want you two to check the goods while they're busy hunting us down on the cathedral, we should atleast know what's the deal's all about, probably rigged it to explode or something. When you're done, I've already mark an extraction point for you two. Imma gonna upload the trucks location and your extraction point on your radar. Good Luck..."