Chapter Nineteen: Vala

"Mom and dad want to talk with all of us," Ivy started. "They said it's important."

I looked at Klaven, and he shrugged. We followed Ivy to mom and dad's room. When we got there, I could see that mom was distressed.

"What's going on?" I asked them.

"My escape has caused the Sea Dwellers to gather in New York, demanding a war," Dad said softly.

Ivy gasped but remained silent.

"I just hope that Rylo boy will be able to confront them and tell them we want peace," Mom sighed.

"Who is Rylo?" Klaven wondered.

"He and his father were here earlier today," Mom explained. "They requested to use the Inferno Blade to convince the Sea Dwellers that Rylo was born both sides. Proof we can live together in harmony."

"You're saying he's both Sea Dweller and Pyro Resident?" Ivy asked, rather loudly.

"Yes, he is," Mom responded.

"I remember bumping into them when we came inside," I thought out loud.

"We need to prepare for battle now," Dad said, cutting off further conversation of Rylo.

He left us to go somewhere, probably where the soldiers were.

***

We stood in Times Square, awaiting the army of Sea Dwellers. Klaven had insisted that he come to the war. Dad let him go reluctantly. As a result, I decided I wanted to come also. Eventually, dad let me go too, even more reluctantly. Ivy stayed home with mom. It was kind of weird to think of the underground as home. I wondered what the surface people thought of all this. There were a few helicopters above us, and several police vehicles surrounding us. They blocked off the streets to keep civilians away. I heard what I thought was a newscaster speaking from a distance, but I couldn't see him.

Just then, the enemy came around the corner of a building. I was hoping Rylo would be here by now, but I guess we'll have to fight until he gets here.