Chapter Fifteen: Vala

When we got to the study, mom wasn't there. Only dad and Ivy.

"Where's mom?" I questioned.

"A civilian wanted to speak with her," Dad said.

So I went back out in the hallway where Klaven was.

"Do you want to go outside?" He asked me.

I agreed to go out to the courtyard. When I got out there, I saw a garden. I couldn't believe there were plants that grew down here. Klaven picked a purple fruit from a tree.

He tossed it to me, "Kambulta, it's ripe. Just bite into it."

I took a bite out of the fruit. It wasn't what I expected at all. It had wrinkly skin, and dry on the inside, but salty. It was similar to a potato chip, just tough. Actually, it was more like a potato chip and beef jerky combined.

"This is so weird!" I nearly shouted. "But it's great!"

"I'm glad you like it," Klaven smiled. "Now come over here. There's something I want to show you."

I went to the wall he was standing by. He ran his hand across the surface of the stone. He must have found something loose in it because he began to yank on the loose piece of rock. It kind of looked someone carved out a handle. One last pull and he opened a door. A hidden door. He motioned for me to follow him into the secret room. I walked in and saw a pool of lava, some glowing crystals, a tree covered in some sort of rock formation. This place certainly was amazing.

"Do you want me to show you my favorite part?" Klaven asked.

"Of course. This whole place is amazing, so if you can show me an even better part, please do," I said.

He led me around to the other side of the tree. Hanging from a limb was a rope swing. It looked sturdy, but it still made me nervous just thinking about getting on.

"You can swing on it and jump off into the pool," Klaven informed me. "And don't worry. It's safe."

I looked at the lava pool. "So we can swim in that lava?"

"Yeah. Technically it's magma. Either way, we're safe to touch it. We are Pyro Residents remember?"

"Yes. It's just not what I'm used to."

"Well don't worry. I'm not going to make you jump in. Besides we need swimsuits. Our skin might be heatproof, but not the clothes we are in now."

I looked at the magma. I'm immune to it. Magma couldn't hurt me. Neither could fire or lava or heat in general. It's marvelous.