Chapter Six: Rylo

After an hour of thinking, and asking questions, I managed to pull myself together. Apparently my mom and dad shouldn't even be together. I shouldn't even exist. Mom's people are the Sea Dwellers, and dad's people are the Pyro Residents. They're at war, yet my parents still got together somehow. Once again, I shouldn't exist.

My parents said that I am living proof that there can be peace. I didn't want to be living proof of anything. I just wanted to be a normal kid, with a normal life. Was that too much to ask? I guess it was, because the next day I skipped school, and started my training. Most kids would be thrilled, but not me. I got to sleep in though, which was good. I woke up, got ready for the day, and, yep you guessed it. I died.

"Okay Rylo," Dad began. "We know you are heat resistant. That trait came from me. Let's see if you obtained your mom's trait. Breathing underwater."

We had a small above ground pool in the backyard. That was where the training took place. After mom explained what I should do, I got in the pool. I was nervous at first, but once my head went under, I relaxed. My first instinct was to hold my breath, then I remembered what mom told me to do. I slowly opened my mouth and unplugged my nose. I breathed in, the water filled my lungs. Then I panicked and brought my head to the surface.

"Are you alright?" Mom asked.

"Yeah, I just freaked out a bit," I responded.

Suddenly, it hit me. I breathed in water. I breathed in water, and I didn't choke. It felt like air, but more refreshing. Without another word, I went back under. I breathed normally. Water flowed in through my nose, it didn't sting at all. I felt calmer than ever before, peaceful. I surfaced.

"Mom, I was breathing underwater!" I exclaimed.