Chapter 17: Wings of Judgement

"Seriously?"

Eren nodded his head at Jean. The two sat alone in the club, inside of Eren's office. Due to the nature of the club and the events that take place in it every night, combined with the cleaners having not arrived yet, Eren's office was littered with more than enough drug residue to cause a coma and sparkly undergarments laid out along the floor.

"That's what she said. 'Street Partner'," Eren replied to his most trusted comrade.

Since Reiner and the other two's arrest and incarceration, Eren had been a party king. All he and Jean had done was live their lives as best as they possibly could, which involved a heavy amount of sex, alcohol, and whatever drugs they could get their hands on.

However, after his reuniting with Carla Jaeger, re-meeting Mikasa again, and emotional breakdown that he planned on keeping hidden from everyone, he'd gone right back to partying. He hadn't really found the time to inform Jean of the new partnership between him and Mikasa on the account that he was either drunk, high, or hungover. In some cases, he was all three.

"That just sounds like a glorified CI," Jean commented, a judgemental look on his features.

"Yeah, that's what I thought," Eren agreed, his head still aching from the events of last night. The first thing he'd asked Jean when they'd entered his office and cleaning themselves up was that he remembered. Jean was as useless as ever, of course.

Jean shook his head, disagreeing heavily with what had transpired without his knowledge. He was alright having Mikasa around, he loved it. The problem didn't lie in having a pretty Asian beauty hanging out with him, but rather a cop snooping the club were some not-so-legal things take place. If she showed up before the cleaners did, they'd be screwed. Chances are she would use the information as blackmail on them both, turning the two of them into her pet CI's.

"Jean," Eren called out. "Stop thinking too hard. Your head will expand even more."

"Fuck off," Jean growled, glaring at a smirking Eren. These jokes about his head were starting to get on his nerves. "So... is she just going to call you whenever she wants you or is she just gonna show up?"

"I'm thinking she'll call," Eren replied, not sure how she would contact him or when for that matter. "She doesn't really seem like the type to make useless trips."

"But what do you get out of it?" Jean wondered. Eren looked over at him with a contemplative look, urging Jean to carry on. "I mean, she gets all the information she wants about cases. Street contacts, deal meetings, etcetera. What do you get out of it?"

Eren leaned back in his chair, crossing his hands together over his lap. "I, get to avoid a long court case that I might not win and avoid jail time. I've not got a face for prison."

Jean rolled his eyes. "Sounds like blackmail to me, man."

Although he didn't say it, he knew Jean was right. He didn't want to think about it but Mikasa seemed serious in regards to going to trial in opposition to him. The other thing he wouldn't admit to Jean was that he didn't necessarily care. Mikasa wanted to work with him. He tricked her into admitting it but it was still her words. As fun as it had been to fool her again and again, time after time, he also would like to work with her too. He felt he'd matured after his talk with his mother and felt that he could be actually useful to someone that didn't require money or anything such as that.

Now that he knew everything about the past, he believed he could turn things around. Unfortunately, he was still a stubborn bastard and it would take him a while, but he did plan on apologising to both Carla and Mikasa when he felt that the time was right.