Chapter 13: Fight or Flight

"Have you heard the news!?" Jean loudly asked and Eren was inwardly thankful he didn't have neighbours.

"Heard what news!?" Eren shouted back. Mikasa had come back to reality as she stared from Eren to Jean.

"Someone's put a bounty on your head. No doubt that Reiner bastard," Jean informed.

Both Eren's and Mikasa's eyes widened at the revelation. A bounty?

"Seriously?" Eren questioned. "How much?"

"...Eight hundred-thousand."

_______________________________________

"Eight hundred-thousand?" Eren repeated in disbelief, his mouth slightly agape.

Mikasa stared at Jean with eyes wider than either of them thought possible, especially since her signature gaze consisted of eyelids so close together it looked like she was on the verge of falling asleep.

"Wow... I didn't know I was so popular," Eren quipped with a smirk.

The concerned and irritated look Mikasa gave him had no effect on his mood. He was bleeding all over his own bedsheets after being told there was a bounty on his head and yet he still refused to take it seriously.

"Eren," She said. "This is bad."

"No. This isn't bad. This took a sudden turn for the awesome," The smile on Eren's face grew, worrying both Mikasa and Jean.

Mikasa turned her head from Eren to his second in command, Jean. The trusted ally raised a brow at her and circled his index finger next to his temple while mouthing 'Lost it'.

"You don't get it?" Eren asked after seeing their confusion. "Aren't you supposed to be a Detective?"

She was about to be the Detective who slapped Eren Jaeger in a minute if he didn't stop insulting her. "What are you getting at, Eren?" She questioned.

"If there's a bounty on my head, that means there's gotta be a meetup point to collect the money... All we have to do is find out where it is, pose as guys who captured me, sneak inside, and take them down," Eren explained his master plan.

Both of them looked impressed by Eren's intuitiveness. At this point, it really shouldn't be a surprise but Eren always had something up his sleeve. However, Mikasa had problems.

"It's too risky," She stated her issues with that plan.

"Oh come on, Mikasa," Eren complained, not revelling in her sudden protect nature kicking in.

"I'm serious, Eren," She put her foot down. "Who says Reiner even wants you alive? He was only trying to kill you the other night, remember?"

Eren shook his head in disagreement. "Nah. He wants to kill me himself. Chances are this bounty's only valid if I'm alive."

"And who's going to take you to him," She shot back. "They know who I am and who Jean is. They probably know everyone who works for you."

"Then...we'll use a cop. Ymir or someone," Eren replied, waving off her worries like they were flies in the air. Mere nuisances.

"I'm being serious here," Her tone of voice changed. She carried authority in her tone, proving she carried the heart of a leader.

"So am I," Eren's mood drastically switched too. He didn't glare but there was a fire in his eyes. The forest within his orbs was aflame with fury and determination. "I'm taking him, Annie, and anyone else involved down... With or without you."