21. In A Disguise

Something weird is going on in this town... in last two days... well, nights.

I have been hearing a melody for two nights in a row. I have also seen a great amount of boys leaving their homes by climbing out of their windows. They have been following the weird melody...

The weird thing is that no other girl has ever heard that sound. Well I'm living in an orphanage and know only a couple of girls...

But I haven't seen any girls sneaking out at night either. I can't be the only one hearing this? And noticing those sneaky boys following the sound like... like they're enchanted... or something.

Now again I'm here by my room's window, watching more boys sneak out of their homes while hearing the melody. I mean why? At least you have a home!

I'm going to follow them. I open my window, making sure nobody can hear it. I slowly climb down and start to follow those boys from a distance.

After a while of walking towards the strange sound that keeps getting louder as we get closer, I see a hooded person playing on pipes.

I hide behind a tree and watch as the rest of the boys that snuck out are starting to dance around a small campfire as the hooded person plays his pipes. I can tell he's a boy.

Soon he takes his hood off, revealing thick brown hair and a pair of green eyes. He also has a devilish smirk on his face and I don't know why but I find him quite attractive. He looks like he's about my age.

Soon the boy starts to talk to the boys that stopped dancing. I try to hear what they're talking about.

"Do you think you're capable to be a Lost Boy? Join me and you'll never feel lost again..." He says to one of them and waits for an answer.

A Lost Boy? What does he mean? It's not like only boys can hear his pipes... or is it? Why can I hear it? And why aren't I enchanted like those boys?

Many questions are popping to my head but I can't figure out an answer to any. I decide to leave.

I run back to the orphanage and climb up to my window. I hope no one noticed I was gone...

I climb in my room and shut the window. Whatever was going on there... I'm going to find out more. If there's a chance to escape this orphan life... why not?

I lay on my bed and pull a blanket over myself. Then I close my eyes and think about the green-eyed boy back there. I mean I would let him take me away... I smirk to myself. But if he takes only boys? I can't risk it.

Then, a great idea pops in my head. I smirk once again before falling asleep. That's exactly what I'm going to do...

The next night

Finally! The moment has come!

After a long boring day, being a little bullied by other kids and planning this great idea and how to implement it, it's finally night.

I put on baggy clothes, boyish clothes that I stole from other orphans. Then I put my hair up and try to hide it under a hat. I look at myself in a mirror. Wow. I actually look like a boy. Ouch.

I let out a chuckle and then start to wait the melody. I really hope I can still hear it and he's going to play it again.

Soon the very same melody starts and I'm smiling victoriously. I open my window and look down. A couple of boys are sneaking out again. This time less than yesterday.

I too, climb down and start to head towards the sound. I'm feeling a little nervous. I have to be plausible.

Luckily my hat is big and it will hide my face enough.