28

They walk out of Alfie's bakery and spot James. Tommy pats him on the shoulder and James leaves to go back to Ada's as Tommy and Iduna walk over to the truck full of peaky men. Iduna snickers as she spots Scudboat pissing on one of the houses.

"You all scrub up nicely," Iduna calls to the men who laugh.

"You're late," Arthur says, hugging Tommy.

"I had business," Tommy replies as Arthur hugs Iduna.

"What did you get me out of there for?" Arthur asks.

"I need you today, brother," Tommy says as John hands Iduna a cigarette and Johnny Dogs lights it. "We pulled some strings. You alright?"

"I am now" Arthur says.

"So Arthur's back in charge now?" John asks bitterly.

"He's in charge of you and you're both in charge of him" Tommy points at Finn who rolls his eyes. "Lookout duties only today"

"Tom, I'm getting sick of this-" The young boy begins.

"Finn," Tommy says. "You don't obey orders, you don't come. Johnny Dogs"

"Tommy,"

"Your boys will meet us there?" Tommy asks.

"Well, the Lees will be there, captain," Johnny says.

"Captain?" Tommy asks.

"I've promoted you," Johnny replies. "Well, the boys decided that you're no longer like a sergeant major. Fucking Iduna who has more class than all of us combined and using those fancy words. I'd say you're more like a captain these days."

"Fine," Tommy says, looking at Iduna who had gone red at the mention of her name. "Well, I'll take it as a compliment. Just don't bloody shoot me. Let's go to the Derby boys and lady"

"Right then," Arthur yells, helping Iduna into the back. "Light them up"

Iduna shrugs on her fancy cream trench coat and places a dark blue hat on her head which matches her dress as they stop in the middle of nowhere.

"Toff enough?" Iduna asks the men, adjusting her hat. They all nod. "Perfect"

"Gentlemen," Tommy says. "Iduna. Today we are not fucking about. I hope you've all obeyed instructions and bought loaded firearms with you" Everyone shows their guns and rifles. "Good. You will all know if you are lifted on a racetrack these days with a loaded weapon, you get 20 years. That's alright, today you won't get lifted because today there will be no coppers around to lift you. At exactly three o'clock, there will be an incident in the owner's enclosure and all the coppers in the track will be diverted, all of them. They'll be looking for someone. You will be free to operate at will"

"Looking for who?" Arthur asks.

"Me," Tommy says. "They will be looking for me. Now while the coppers are looking for me, you will make your move on Sabini's pitches. You confiscate his takings, you destroy his licenses and you do it at gunpoint. He usually has police protection so he won't be armed. We should aim to complete the takeover without a shot being fired, understood? Remember, the licenses are more important than the takings. Alright, before the fun begins you can all lay ten bob on Nom De Guerre. I hear she's gonna win" All the men cheer. "Johnny Dogs, I want you to stick with Iduna. Protect her no matter what" Johnny Dogs nods. "Only beer beforehand boys, there will be plenty of time for rum and whisky afterwards and remember do not make a move until three, when the coppers leave. That is all" Tommy hops down and presses a kiss to Iduna's lips, ignoring the wolf whistles. "You stay safe, you fucking hear?"

Iduna nods, wiping a bit of her lipstick off his face.

Tommy leaves to see the horse and Johnny Dogs offers Iduna his arm.