27

TWO MONTHS LATER

Today is the day of the Epsom races. Iduna is sat next to Tommy, reading the letter he writes.

Mr Charles Ransom Miller,

My name is Thomas Shelby and today, I'm going to kill a man. Today is Derby Day, and the murder will take place this afternoon at the Epsom races. It may be that I'm able to escape after the killing. The odds are not good, which is why I'm writing this letter I've been forced by Agents of the Crown to carry out this murder, an in the event of my own death I want the following facts to be known:

My family are innocent of any involvement and while some of them may be guilty of other things, I've not shared details of this mission with any of them and no company assets were used.

Agents of the Crown joined forces with pro-treaty Fenians to arrange this murder. I believe the government intend to falsely blame the anti-treaty IRA. Therefore, the bullet I fire this afternoon will be the starting gun for civil war in Ireland.

The man I've been instructed to kill is Field Marshall Russell, formerly a Black and Tan commander who committed many atrocities in the county of  Cork. There is no remorse in my heart at the prospect of his death. However the conspiracy behind the killing is cause for international concern. Such is the gravity of my secret mission that I've served my purpose I believe they intend to kill me.

"Do you want tea?" Ada asks.

"Yes please" Iduna says but Tommy doesn't reply.

I therefore want to name a particular individual in this letter, the agent who's initiated and orchestrated this crime is Major Chester Campbell of the British Secret Intelligence Service. He chose me for this dirty business as an act of vengeance, prompted by a hatred of longstanding. In the event of my death, it is imperative he be brought to justice, not only for that but for the rape of Miss Iduna Darling, a combat nurse who served her country loyally at Verdun and the Somme.

If you are reading this, then I am dead already. I hope that living as you do, in a truly free country, you'll be able to make the above facts known to the world.

Yours Sincerely,

Thomas Shelby

Ada places two mugs down.

"I made you one anyway, you ignorant git," Ada says to her brother.

"Ada," Tommy says. "Sit down here for a minute. Ada, if anything happens to me today, I need you to post this letter. Stamp's already on. Don't ask any questions, it's to do with insurance"

"Look Tommy," Ada says. "Whatever it is you're involved in, just tell us. You have a kid on the way, a kid who will need a father."

Tommy stays silent as Iduna places a hand on her still relatively flat stomach.

"God, you never let anybody in. We love you, Tom." James walks in. "What are you doing up at six o'clock in the morning?"

"Ready?" Tommy asks as Iduna stands up.

"What the bloody hell is going on?" Ada asks.

"Little errand," James says.

"What errand?" Ada asks.

"He just has to stand there Ada," Tommy says.

"Stand where?" Ada asks.

"Let's go, come on," Tommy says, offering his arm to Iduna.

"James what's going on?" Ada asks. "Don't listen to him James, he'll get you killed. What errand?"

"For the cause Ada," James says. "The good old cause"