23

Iduna is stood in the betting den with Esme when a knock sounds out.

"We're not open for winning yet" Esme calls.

"I'm here to see Thomas Shelby and Iduna Darling," A woman's voice calls out.

"Oh it's May," Iduna says. "Let her in Esme"

"I have an appointment," May says.

"Come in" Esme says.

May begins walking around before Esme runs in front of her.

"Esme, let her have a look around" Iduna calls from her position, squatted near the filing cabinet.

"May Carleton," May introduces herself.

"Mr Shelby has his proper meetings in his other office," Esme says, squinting her eyes.

"It's not really a proper meeting per se," Iduna says, standing up. "Tommy and I gave her this address"

"You gave her this address?" Esme asks and Iduna nods.

"They said it was a gambling den," May says.

"And it is," Iduna says.

"I told them that I'd always wanted to see one since I am always reading about them in the papers so Iduna called me and gave me this address," May says. "Quite the big scandal in the Telegraph lately. Anyway, they said I could come and have a look"

"I'll give you a tour May," Iduna says and May offers Iduna her arm which she takes. "That board there is where we write the odds"

"How do you calculate the odds?" May asks.

"Looking at the last four races and their ratings," Iduna says. "Then compare and contrast with the other horses"

"Then this filing cabinet is just receipts and records of who won and who owes money," Iduna says.

"So what are you?" Esme asks.

"What am I?" May asks.

"To Thomas," Esme says.

"I'm going to train his racehorse," May says as Iduna continues pointing things out. "For Epsom"

"You know horses?" Esme asks.

"Yes," May says. "You?"

"Born riding," Esme replies. "I slept in a manger when I was a baby"

"I was born riding too,"

The door opens and John walks in.

"There's a fucking great Riley parked out there and nobody's watching it," John says.

"John, May," Iduna says. "May, John. John is Tommy's younger brother"

"This woman says she's training Thomas' horse," Esme says as John looks at May.

"Iduna's told us a lot about you," John says. "Tommy was a bit jealous"

"You don't know where he is do you?" May asks.

"Sorry I am late," Tommy's voice sounds out. "There was a family matter. Esme keep it locked up for a minute"

"Yes, Thomas," Esme says.

"I'll show you around," Tommy says.

"No need," May says. "Iduna already gave me a tour, I do have one question. It's so out in the open, what about the police?"

"What about them?" Tommy asks, placing a cigarette between Iduna's lips and lighting it for her.

"When I drove into Small Heath, I thought I was going to get murdered." May says. "Then I mentioned your name Mr Shelby. It was like being escorted to see a King"