10

Polly and Iduna walk to the small basement where Ada's hiding. They see the basket of food they had bought a few days ago, untouched and moulding outside the door. Polly knocks on the door.

"Open up love," Polly says. "We brought more things for you and the baby."

"We've got some fresh eggs and bread," Iduna says. "We'll leave it here" The two women hear the baby crying.

"Ada think of the little one," Polly says. "Babies don't have principles" Polly walks away but Iduna stays.

"Ada let me at least check the baby is healthy" Iduna says. "You don't have to take the food, just let me check he's alright" The door creaks open and Ada hands Iduna her son before picking up the basket.

"His name is Karl," Ada says. "After Karl Marx"

"It suits him," Iduna says, smiling at the baby in her arms.

"Freddie and I talked about it and we want you to be godmother," Ada says. "You helped Pol and me during the war and if anything happened to us, there's no one else we'd trust"

"I'd love to," Iduna says, as she rocks Karl. Karl coos happily and Ada smiles. Iduna checks him over, placing him on her knee. "He's perfectly healthy Ada, but if you have any concerns don't stop to visit me as a nurse or a friend" Ada places Karl in his crib before hugging Iduna.

"Thank you" Ada whispers.

Iduna is sitting in the office working through the numbers.

"There's tea," Iduna says and Tommy's face doesn't change. He looks at the papers in front of the woman.

"The new system," Tommy says. "Everything in the diary, eh?"

"It's easier to manage everything this way," Iduna says and Tommy takes out a pen and draws a black star on December third.

"Black star," Iduna says. "What does that mean?"

"Black star day is the day we take out Billy Kimber and all his men," Tommy says. "No one knows this"

"Not even your family?" Iduna asks.

"Iduna," Tommy says. "Everyone in my family hates me. Why would I tell them?"

He shuts the door behind him and Iduna sighs. Tommy looks as Grace quickly moves her ear away from the door and pretends to wipe the tables. His eyes squint in suspicion but decides not to say anything.

︵‿︵‿︵‿︵︵‿︵‿︵‿︵︵‿︵‿︵‿︵

During her lunch break, Iduna walks to the Shelbys. Sebastian had gone there today to play football with Finn and Polly and Iduna had made lunch plans. Iduna walks through the front door and into the dining room where she spots Arthur serving a sandwich to a man at the table.

"Who might you be?" The man asks, leaning forward his eyes raking Iduna's body.

"Iduna Darling," She says bluntly.

"I'm Arthur Shelby Senior," The man says.

"Oh. I would say it was a pleasure but I doubt you'll stick around long enough" Is Iduna's reply causing Polly and John to snicker. Arthur Senior ignores Iduna's jab and clasps his hands together.

"Bless thee Father, for these bounties we are about to receive-" Arthur Senior begins.

"Jesus Christ," Polly says.

"Please woman, not in vain" Arthur Senior says.

"Finish your sandwich and sling your hook," Polly says.

"Pollyanna," Arthur Senior says. "I'm the guest of the head of this family. So why don't you maybe tend to your mangle or scuttle?"

"The head of the family ain't here," John says. Arthur Senior looks at Arthur Junior.

"Tommy sometimes helps me with business Dad," Arthur Junior says and Iduna turns as the door opens.

Tommy walks in and looks at the displeased look on Iduna's face before hearing the voice of his father.

"Aye, well, speak of the devil," Arthur Senior says. "How are you, son?"

"Get out," Tommy says.

"Come on son," Arthur Senior says. "I'm a changed man"

"This family needed you ten years ago and you walked out on us," Tommy says.

Finn clutches Iduna's hand tightly and the woman holds the boy close to her, running a comforting hand up and down his back.

"Not now. Get out of this house"

"Tommy, he's different-" Arthur Junior begins

"Shut up," Tommy says.

"It's alright son," Arthur Senior says. "Arthur Shelby never stays where he's not welcome. Quite something you've become" Finn watches as he leaves but John pulls him back.

"He's our dad," Arthur Junior says.

"He's a selfish bastard," Tommy says. Iduna decides to lead the two kids out of the room.

"Let's go draw on the chalkboards," Iduna says, squeezing Arthur's shoulder as she walks past.

A few minutes later, Iduna hears the door slam.

"Follow Arthur will you?" Polly asks and Iduna nods. She grabs her coat and follows Arthur Junior, looping her arm in his as she catches up.

Arthur walks into the Garrison, Iduna on his arm

"I'm taking five pounds from petty cash," Arthur says.

"We don't have five pounds in petty cash" Grace replies.

"I'll take what we've got" Arthur replies.

"I'll count it and leave a receipt," Iduna says and Grace smiles. Iduna counts the money as Grace speaks again.

"Arthur there are things in these books I don't understand," Grace says.

"Likewise," Arthur says and Iduna laughs as Arthur slides her a drink.

"Every week we pay one pound ten-shilling by postal order to a Daniel Owen in London," Grace says.

"Danny Whizz-Bang," Arthur says. "Hangs around the pubs in Camden Town Wharf for us. Keeps his ears open for business. He's a good man"

"Danny's alive?" Iduna asks and Arthur nods.

"It was a show, to satisfy the wops," Arthur says and Iduna grins. "Tommy just shot some sheep brains at him"

"Who's buried in his grave?" Grace asks as Iduna scribbles out the receipt.

"Now look Grace," Arthur says. "If you know what's good for you, you don't ask questions about things that don't concern you. Never right?" He places a coin in front of Grace. "That's for you and don't tell Tommy I took this" Arthur leaves and Iduna stays.

"Why aren't you going with him?" Grace asks.

"He's meeting up with his father," Iduna says. "He's a sleazy bastard"

Grace nods before grabbing her coat.

"I've got an errand to run, mind sorting the books?" Grace asks.

"Yeah, of course," Iduna replies, not realising that Grace was about to betray the Shelby family after piecing together where the guns were hidden.