21

The next morning, Iduna is cleaning the bar ready to open it whilst Arthur drinks and snorts Tokyo.

"To keep it open, the Garrison does need alcohol" Iduna jokes. Arthur slides her a drink which she accepts before he unlocks the Garrison doors. Iduna watches as a woman walks in.

"The cleaning job's gone," Arthur says. "The vacancy's filled."

"I'm not a cleaner," The woman says and Iduna's eyes widen as the woman pulls out a gun.

"Arthur" Iduna says in a warning tone.

"But I have come to clean away some dirt," The woman says and Iduna pulls out the gun from behind the counter and points it at her.

"Why don't you put that away before it goes off?" Arthur says as Iduna stares at the woman, waiting for her next move.

"You killed my son," The woman says. "You Peaky bastard! You beat him and beat him and beat him."

"Your son was a boxer," Arthur says.

"No," The woman says. "He was a boy who got into the ring with an animal"

"Yeah ain't that the truth?" Arthur says.

"I've come to stop you," The woman says. "Because the coppers and nobody else will"

"Try it" Iduna cocks the gun. Arthur stands up.

"If you're going to use it," Arthur says. "Point that thing at my head. That's where the trouble is. Gutshot soldiers take half a day to die. I've seen them. Walking around with their guts in their arms like dirty washing. Hold that gun up and do it! Fucking do it! Do it!" The woman doesn't pull the trigger but Iduna keeps the gun up. "I'm going to finish my drink, you can finish it with me if you like" The woman fires the gun and Iduna ducks quickly but the bullet grazes her arm.

"Fuck" Iduna mutters, clamping her hand on the bleeding wound. Arthur snatches the woman's gun and empties the bullets out of it as she cries.

"Now look," Arthur says. "Look at me. We got a fund. You'll get paid weekly. I know it won't bring back your son. I know that. But you have other sons. We'll find them work. And you won't have to work because-" The woman flips the table screaming.

"Somebody has got to stop you people," The woman says before leaving.

"Hey La-La Land" Iduna calls. "You forgot your gun" Arthur looks at her.

"Let's get that cleaned up" Arthur grabs the first aid kit as John walks in.

"You broke the fucking mirror. That's seven years of bad luck" He says, spotting the mirror before looking at Iduna. "The fuck happened to you?"

"The mother of that lad from the boxing ring," Iduna says. "Shot a bullet and it grazed my arm."

"It's a pretty deep graze," Arthur says. "Now brace yourself" He pours whisky onto the wound and Iduna groans in pain.

"Fuck" She says, slamming her hand on the counter. Arthur then bandages it tightly.

︵‿︵‿︵‿︵︵‿︵‿︵‿︵︵‿︵‿︵‿︵

The next day, Tommy calls a family meeting.

"This had better be good to interrupt my holiday," Polly says.

"Where's the boy?" Arthur asks.

"In the backroom" Polly replies. "I only bought him because afterwards he, Seb and I are going to the museum"

"He wanted to come in and say hello-"

"Shut up John" Polly snaps. "There is nothing of interest to Michael in this room" John raises his eyebrows. "Tommy, get on with this"