Opening night

It was an impossible task to focus on the opera and Phillippe's conversation at the same time, hence why I had given up on trying to pay attention to the opera. Instead, I listened to Phillippe explain how you can tell how old a wine is, which was actually quiet interesting and informative. He was able to correctly date the wine we were drinking to about 55 years old which I wasn't going to lie, was impressive. I had although, really hyped myself up to see the opera so the fact  that I wasn't  really and make talking to Phillippe a little disappointing, but I was able to politely hide it. Unlike Erik who preferred to keep silent and pay full attention to the opera, Phillippe seemed to ignore the opera and just talked. I found myself like a middle ground to the two, I didn't like ignoring the show and talking but I did enjoy sharing my thoughts on what was going on in front of me and my guess of what is going to happen next, which made watching opera with both Phillippe and Erik hard. Although Erik did tolerate my comments, I could tell that he preferred the silence as last time he usually just nodded in response or gave a blunt answer that would not carry on any form conversation. 

The dinner after the opera was pleasant, I assumed the place we ate at was an expensive place due to the clothes of everyone else in the restaurant, although I wasn't sure since I had never been to any restaurant in this century before. I hadn't even been able to check the prices as Phillippe had ordered a meal for us before we had even received the menu. I assumed that he had been before and really enjoyed that meal, so I just let it go. I had also attempted to pay for a meal but Phillippe would hear of it and paid. When we returned to the opera, I made sure that Phillippe had left before I started making my way down to Erik's house. 

"How was your night out?" Erik asked as he looked up from the book he was reading as I walked in.
"Interesting." I replied vaguely.
"Did you enjoy the opera?" Erik prompted.
"I enjoyed Phillippe's conversation if that's what you mean." I joked. Erik chuckled in response.
"It did surprise me that someone of his... personality appreciated operas." I could tell that he was choosing his words wisely because he knew I would chastise him if he said anything offensive about Phillippe.
"Can I go and see the opera with you tomorrow?" I asked. I could see a small, triumphant grin in Erik's face.
"Certainly." He replied in a strange manner, almost as if he was gloating at somebody that wasn't here