00:00:00

He's taking her to the flower field.

Of course, the flowers are shut tight, as if protecting themselves, shielding themselves from the cold and dark of the night instead of blooming joyfully as they would during the day.

The lack of light brought upon them coats the flowers in a grey color, uncomplimentary to their usual hue and tone of color.

Still, it looks somewhat beautiful, various shades of grey gleaming as stars shine on them, moon hidden behind a cloud.

When they arrive, Jeanette forgets how reluctant she was at first to go with him - her breath gets taken away by the sight in front of her.

I didn't know a place like this could even exist, let alone here.

To her, the soft glowing grey flowers and the stars above look as the most beautiful thing she's seen in her life. The lack of colors doesn't bother her - it brings a new kind of magic there.

"Do you like it?" he whispers, looking over his shoulder to glance at her face. Despite the dark, he can see her features distinctly.

A breeze flows by, making her shiver and wrap her arms around herself, mimicking the flower petals hugging each other tightly for warmth.

She nods. "I think it's beautiful," the words flow past her lips smoothly.

They remain quiet although question are lingering on both of their tongues - questions which they do not want to ask, though, because they don't want to face the answers they might bring.

For a few minutes, they enjoy the silence, the presence of the stars and flowers among them.

They know this has to come to an end, though. And Jeanette is the first to break the tension.

"So," she carefully starts, her voice shaking slightly, "why did you want to see me?"

Oscar feels suffocated. "I need to tell you something," he responds, without elaborating further.

The girl keeps looking at him expectantly, waiting until he makes up his mind to answer. To be honest, she is quite liking this silence before the storm, but dreading the answer, the storm itself.

He takes a deep breath, closes his eyes. "I just... I just wanted you to know I'm sorry." When he opens his eyes again, they're looking at Jeanette with such a genuine look of sadness, regret and hope she feels her heart clench at the sight.

She can't help but back away a few steps, feeling her own tears come to her eyes. Thoughts fly around in her head, sweet and bitter memories.

Somehow, she knows Oscar means it.

"I know," she tries to force a smile onto her face despite her emotions, despite wanting to yell and cry. The smile looks crooked, but at least she's trying. "I think," she says softly, he can barely hear the words coming out of her mouth, "I can forgive you. Not now, not tomorrow... but someday, I'll be able to."

Another smile comes to her face, unconsciously. A real smile of reassurance, as much for Oscar as for her.