Chapter 12

The friendship of those two continued to grow and bloom. Jeanette would have never guessed it was this easy to befriend someone, that it took only such a short amount of time to find a friend.

But then again, she had never really tried before.

Nevertheless, Jeanette soon found herself calling him as her best friend in her mind (and only one as well), but she never dared say this out loud - she wasn't sure if Oscar thought of ber the same way, he had much more friends, after all.

To Jeanette, Oscar may have been a very important person, but she could only be one more of his meaningless friends for all she knew.

But he never really did anything which would prove that he didn't think of her as a friend. He always made sure to give her the same amount of time as he did to his other classmates, hung out as much as with others and sometimes, even a little more than with them. Whether she was his best friend or not, it didn't matter. What mattered was that they were friends in the first place.

She also got to know a little more about him - he was a lot caring, always worrying about people.

And so when Oscar found out about Jeff's death, he took it as his task to be always with Jeanette from then on, to provide comfort and support.

It wasn't like his death phased her that much.

It was the fact that she could live without him which phased her more.

He was her first best friend and only friend for a very long time and now he was dead, she didn't feel the slightest bit sorry.

Jeanette hissed in pain when Oscar's hands reached over her arm to the elbow, grazing over her fresh wounds.

He held onto her elbow carefully. "Are you okay?" His face was distorted with worry.

She pulled her arm back, unable to focus. There was way too much happening around in her very own head to register his words. She mindlessly nodded.

She didn't really plan on ever letting him know Jeff had died, but he kept asking to see him again. So she was left with no choices other than to spill the truth, that he died only a few days after Oscar went to meet him.

At least the dog experienced a little more love than Jeanette would normally give him in his last days in the form of meeting Oscar.

He must've died a happy death.

Jeanette was jealous of him, and it terrified her.