Chapter 44

Oscar left her.

And so did the others, eventually.

When they saw Oscar's and Jeanette's friendship was gone for good, when they saw he had no more interest in her just like she didn't in him, they lost their interest in her as well.

Things were back to how they used to be, the world splitting in two, Jeanette and everyone else.

People kept going, wounds kept appearing.

The only person who was still there was Jeanette's reflection in the mirror, which seemed so much like her and yet like a stranger. She touched her face to make sure it really was her, feeling her skin as the person in the mirror mimicked her gestures.

They looked so alike, only the person in the mirror, the person stuck in the shiny glass didn't experience what Jeanette had, did feel what Jeanette had. The reflection in the mirror was just a feelingless, worryless, almost a lifeless person staring straight back into Jeanette's eyes.

Were those two really the same person?

Jeanette didn't recognize herself.

The dark eye bags.

The lips turned slightly downwards.

The frown etched onto her face.

Where was the happy Jeanette? Was she even really there, anyway?

She tried forcing a smile, but it didn't work. It never reached past her lips, never served for a good mask.

She reached out her hand towards the mirror, hypnotizing her reflection as she did the same, when her fingertips touched the cold mirror, her hands slowly warmed up the surface the longer she continued having them there.

She didn't move, waited for the girl on the other side to make the first move instead.

She waited for the fake version to start living instead of her.

Maybe that version could've been happier. Better. More.

She backed away from the wall on which the mirror hung, taking small and slow steps while not tearing her gaze away from her doppelganger, who was walking backwards just like her.

Jeanette took a step to the left, to the door, and watched as the fragile person disappeared from sight. There was no longer anyone in the mirror as Jeanette stepped through the door.

Everyone left her.