Promises

A/N: The thing that Lacey taught Allison is real. While I didn't choose any specific technique, there are real techniques that do what Lacey was talking about, some of which are more dangerous than others.
This chapter was extremely difficult to write; not so much its contents, but rather the decision of whether I was going to stick with the original events all the way or start to shift gears and move away from that, since Mello is such a huge part of this story. Even writing it logic-wise took a lot of thought. Light's plan was basically flawless, so thinking of a way to get around it was not easy.
I am extremely glad that I added onto the part I had with Lidner, though. The anime totally skips over this aspect of the manga. When Near gives her orders, you can notice that the text bubbles become less circular and more like blobs, indicating that her voice is trembling.
Just know that the timing here is a little iffy. You have to realize that some of these scenes are going on at the same time.
On another note, "Riddles" is coming to an end. Part of me is sad, and the other part is saying, "FINALLY!" Thank you to all of my readers for both your support and your patience (no pun intended).
======================================================

Allison

Patience isn't the type of person to get angered easily—annoyed, maybe, but not angered—especially not with me.

Despite knowing this, I wasn't very reassured as I took a left on my rented motorcycle into the car park Matt had told me about. It was nearly empty save a truck open in the back, but I was sure that Matt hadn't lied to me. I could read him like a book, so I'd have known if he was lying.

I put the bike somewhere inconspicuous so that Mello wouldn't notice it—not right away, at least. I turned off the ignition and then pulled my neck warmer off my face so that I could breathe easier. I was sweating despite the cold, and I pulled off my blue leather jacket, exposing my bare arms. It took about a minute for me to clear my head; I could start thinking now, and now I could feel the biting cold. I pulled my neck warmer back up so that it covered my mouth, and I slipped my jacket back on. My fingers were numb, and even the tips of my toes were cold despite my heavy leather boots.

Probably should have worn gloves. A trivial thought to help pass the time until Mello inevitably arrived.

I'd been in such a rush that I hadn't even had enough time to put on a helmet. I was lucky not to have gotten pulled over, but I hadn't worried about falling and hitting my head. Joy and I never had much in common but one of the few things we did was riding. She had taught me back when I moved into the same town as her, and she'd taught me well. Joy had become much easier to talk to ever since that incident a few years prior.

I looked at the scar on my hand from where the mirror's glass had cut me, and only then did I notice the hum of an approaching motorcycle. Then the engine died. I pulled down my neck warmer once again, and I reached into my bag and pulled out a gun, holding onto it tightly. I knew Mello's MO by now.

"Mello."

His eyes widened; his head snapped towards me, and then he slammed the tailgate of the truck Takada was in so that she couldn't escape.

"What the hell do you think you're doing, Allison?" he asked, his eyes not leaving the tailgate.

"Honestly," I said, "I have no bloody clue."

"I am going to—"

"—What, kill me?" I interrupted Mello. "In addition to the fact that I'm armed, in case you haven't noticed, it would seem that you're a bit occupied at the moment."

"If you're here to stop me, then you've got another thing coming," he said.

"Who said that's why I'm here?" I said. "At this point, I'm just here to make sure you don't get anyone killed."