On the Second Day at Wammy's

A/N: Being 22 and looking over this (I sometimes reread to fix grammar or wording, or out of boredom or sentimentality), I was like, "Wow, this whole situation with the prank and Lacey is totally unrealistic." Then I remembered some of the stupid shit I got into when I was this age. It checks out.

Wardens are people who look over children (their wards) at Wammy's, occasionally meeting them, keeping records on their progress, helping them improve however they can, even looking over their health. They're all assigned to specific kids. If one of their wards becomes particularly notable (or difficult) as they get older, their other wards are assigned to someone else. The warden will then have just their one ward. While they work directly with the kids, the wardens are all very different people, so their relationships with the kids differ. There are familial relations, professional, researcher-subject, etc.

What we know about Wammy's: it's a chain of orphanages, the kids are successors of L, all the kids possess certain skills that are beyond what regular people are capable of (addressed in HtR 13), the kids are still allowed to play games and act like kids and stuff, the (one) employee we've seen is a caretaker and seems nice, Roger hates kids, the kids are educated on L and his accomplishments and exposed to crime solving and whatnot, at least one child we know of is suggested to have gone on to do something outside of crime-solving. Anything outside of this is me adding onto Wammy's to turn it into something with more depth. This includes the wardens.

How did being a polyglot get Allison into Wammy's? How does that help her be an investigator to potentially succeed L? Answer: it doesn't. Allison assumes this is the talent that got her into Wammy's. In reality, she is incorrect in her assumption. All the OCs, except Lacey (who's the only one who bothered asking), assumed what their talent was that got them chosen.

Little note as for Roger: in the official English manga, he's only referred to twice by name, as far as I can recall. Once by staff, who address him as Mr. Roger. Once by Mello, who refers to him as Roger. I just decided most people call him Mr. Roger except for Mello and a few others who aren't as respectful.

Anyway, Joy and Allison are horrible to each other, but they by no means hate each other.
========================================================

Patience

"Patience," I heard a voice say, "you have to get up now."

In response, I put my pillow over my head.

"It's already 8:20," the voice pressed. I didn't make any move to get up from my bed. "Come on now, don't be a slugabed!" I groaned. Maybe for her it was, but for me it was 3:20 AM.

"I'm sorry, but you leave me no choice. Joy! Go get the ice water!"

That got me up.

"Whoa, no need for ice water!" I said, shooting up.

"Aw," Joy whined. Apparently, she had been looking forward to it.

I heard a laugh and turned to see who had been talking. It was, unsurprisingly, Allison.

"Why do I have to get up now?" I asked. "It's Saturday."

"I'm aware," Allison assured me, "but you have an appointment."

"Appointment?" I echoed.

"Yes, so get dressed!" she ordered.

I began to get changed, and I noticed that a little girl was in the room.

"Who's this?" I asked.

"This is Birdie," Allison said. "She's like family, so you'll be seeing a lot of her."