The Beginning of the End

A/N: Let it be known that I am aware of the fact that this is a pretty crappy chapter. I wrote this when I was about thirteen, so I ask that you bear with me. The story gets a lot better in later chapters.

========================================================

If you could have just one wish, what would it be? I would probably wish for something simple. Something so simple, yet so hard to obtain. I'd wish for a normal, happy life. That's something I'd never really had. At points it was happy, but normal?  That ended when I was ten. Let's start from the beginning.

·÷±‡±±‡±÷· ·÷±‡±±‡±÷· ·÷±‡±±‡±÷· ·÷±‡±±‡±÷· ·÷±‡±±‡±÷·

"Mommy, how much longer until we get there?" I ask the woman holding my hand.

"Any minute now," the woman answers.

It is raining outside, and the woman I am referring to as my mother is taking me somewhere. I can't tell what she looks like; her face isn't visible to me. It is a black nothingness. As if its existence had faded away long ago.

We come upon a small house and walk up the front steps to its door. My "mother" rings the door bell, and after about a minute, a light turns on; I hear footsteps approaching the door. The door opens a crack and an eye peers out. The door shoots wide open immediately after seeing my "mother."

"Emily!" the person who opened the door exclaims. "What are you doing here? It's two in the morning!"

Another woman; a woman whose face is covered by darkness, not visible to me.

She then glances down at me. "You brought the kid? What are you thinking? Where is—"

"—Take her, Annie," says the woman with me, whose name is apparently Emily. "Please."

Annie's eyes widen. "What? Are you crazy?"

"Annie," says Emily, in a voice way too calm considering the situation. "Do you trust me?"

Silence. After a short while, Annie speaks up.

"Yes," she replies, "I do." She doesn't sound very convincing.

"Then take her, raise her as if she were your own," says Emily, not having noticedor perhaps cared aboutthe reluctance in Annie's answer.

Now it's my turn to start freaking out.

"Mommy," I say frantically, "where are you going? Don't leave me here. I want to stay with you and Daddy!"

"It will be fine," my "mother" assures me. "This is a nice lady. You're going to be with her now. Just do it for me, okay?" As she says this, she touches my hand ever so softly. I know she loves me.

I nod, and then I enter the house. I sit on the couch in the small living room and listen to the two women's conversation.

"Why?" It is Annie's voice. "What about her father? He and you—"

"—He's dead," Emily replies, cutting Annie off.

I'm not sure what that means. "Dead." I have never heard that word before, but I can tell it is nothing good, for I can hear the horror in Annie's voice.

"What?" is all she can manage to say.

"Just take her," Emily replies, somehow managing to stay amazingly calm. "Everything will make sense soon. I only ask one more favor of you. Don't tell her anything. Not about me, not about her father, not anything about her family or her past."