Arrivals & Departures

Allison

I'd arrived at the SPK headquarters in three days. I left as soon as Birdie had gotten me fired, which didn't take very long. Little did I know that soon after I arrived, things would begin to get difficult.

"I've already explained it to you," Birdie said. "A notebook of death. A God of Death. Fake rules. Fake L. Kira. I want a doughnut."

"Well, that's just queer as a clockwork orange," I said. God certainly had His mysteries.

"I know! That's what I said," she exclaimed. "...Can I still get a doughnut?"

"Gevanni, please connect me to L," Near requested.

"Right."

"L, I've caught Mello," Near said.

Birdie pulled out a sketchbook, mumbling something about Near being a twit and still wanting a doughnut.

"But he escaped," Near told him. "However, I was able to question him a little." That was a lie and a half. Birdie said Mello willingly gave Near information.

"Near, Mello didn't escape, you let him get away, am I right?" the fake L said.

"No, he really did escape," Near lied. I think. I'm still not completely sure what went down when Mello came. I just know there were quite a few guns. "I'm pretty impressed at how he escaped from under our noses.
"He did tell me a few things of interest, and I would like your opinion on them, L. Mello claimed that a Shinigami possesses the notebook. Have you been able to confirm such an existence?"

"Yes, Shinigami do truly exist, but I kept it a secret because I thought you'd never believe me," L said after a pause.

"I'd really like to have a talk with that Shinigami," Near said.

You see, I love Near and all. He's an adorable yet slightly creepy kid, but these were the moments when I agreed with Birdie and wanted to box his ears.

"And the thing that's bugging me the most," Near began, "is that there's a fake rule hidden among the seven rules you told me about before."

L was quiet for a moment. "A fake rule?" I grinned. Seeing as we were all listening to L, he probably had people listening to Near.

"Yes," Near replied calmly.

"But this is Mello we're talking about. He might just be trying to confuse us."

"That's true," Near said, "but I'd like to hear your opinion. If one of the rules is fake, which one do you think it is?"

"By process of elimination, it is likely the one that says the writer will die unless they write another name in the notebook within thirteen days," L admitted.

"Yes, that's what I thought, too," Near agreed.

"Shinigami, is there a fake rule written in the notebook?" Awkward silence. I half thought that L was off his trolley. "It seems that there is no fake rule. I can only assume that Mello was lying. And if we write a name in the notebook, that person will die, so there's no way of testing it."

"So you have a Shinigami beside you?" Near said, grinning. He was kind of creeping me out. He must have been creeping Birdie out, too, since she was trying hard to concentrate on finishing her drawing but kept glancing up at Near every now and then, mumbling something about dying and evil smiles. Patience was looking at Birdie, most likely in concern.

"Yes," L answered Near's question.

"You said that the notebook is being held at the Japanese task force headquarters. That means that you, L, are also at the headquarters. Am I correct?"