Chapter 30: Whatever it takes

It was late at night. Everyone was asleep, except for Rani. She had not slept at all yet. Her worries kept her awake. Hours had passed and Rani suddenly noticed that Kion started breathing harder. She walked over towards him. "Kion, is everything alright?" she asked as she tapped him in his side with her paw, trying to wake him up. It worked. Kion slowly opened his eyes. "Rani, is something wrong?" he asked, obviously not having heard Rani's question. "I'm alright." Rani lied. "Then why are you still awake, and why are you waking me up?" Kion asked with a hoarse voice, not having woken up completely yet. "I just couldn't sleep, and I noticed that you suddenly started breathing harder. I just wanted to make sure you weren't having a nightmare." Kion looked at Rani surprised. "I did have a nightmare. But because of you it stopped. Asante." Kion said. "Always." Rani was happy to hear that she helped Kion. For some reason she suddenly felt like she could sleep. *Was it me being scared that Kion would get another nightmare?* she asked herself, thinking about why she could not sleep at first. Rani laid down on the ground of the inside of the Tree of Life. "Good night, Rani." Kion said as he nuzzled Rani. "Good night to you too, Kion." Rani said back.

Rani had only just fallen asleep, but Kion was still awake. He was tired, but he had not fallen asleep yet. He suddenly heard a lot of noise coming from outside. He stood up, so he could check it out. Even though he was not the king anymore, he could still help others. As long as his scar did not bother him of course. As Kion was walking out of the Tree of Life he stepped on a twig, which snapped. Rani, only being just asleep, woke up from the sound. Her head shot up, as she looked in the direction Kion was at. "Kion, what are you doing? Shouldn't you sleep now too?" Rani asked. Kion stepped back towards her. "I heard a noise coming from outside. I was going to check it out." he answered. Rani stood up. "I'm coming with you." Kion nodded as they both walked out of the Tree of Life.

"I told you this would be easy." a leopard spoke. "Yeah, you're right Makucha. This was very easy indeed." a female tiger, named Kuhusika said. They now walked towards the Tree of Life, and they were past the mountain pass already. "What do we do next?" a teenage male lion, named Mtunzi, asked. Some others gave him a glare. "Last time I asked, you said you remembered the plan, and now you're asking me what the plan is." Makucha said. He was furious at the younger lion. "At that moment I did remember, but... But I forgot." Mtunzi said, keeping his head low. "The plan is to enter the Tree of Life, and kill queen Rani in her sleep." a female cheetah named Akili reminded Mtunzi of the plan. "That's right. Good to see that at least someone remembered the plan." Makucha said, giving Akili a smile. "Of course Makucha." Akili said. "Okay, affirmative. We can do that." Mtunzi said. Makucha give him a glare. "Don't you let me down kid, or you'll be in for trouble." he said. "Of course Makucha." the younger lion spoke. He was a bit scared of the leopard. Mtunzi was younger, smaller and he wasn't nearly as strong as his leader. "But why are we with such a big army, if all we'll do is kill her in her sleep?" Mtunzi asked. "Just in case anyone wakes up. If we have to fight, we can fight." Makucha pointed towards the Tree of Life. "There it is. Lets go, but stay quiet, we can't have anyone waking up." he said, as he increased his pace, coming closer to the Tree of Life with every step he took. Suddenly Kuhusika stopped and she tapped Akili on her side, who stopped too. "Oh no. Look." Kuhusika said, as she pointed towards something at the Tree of Life. Akili looked in the direction Kuhusika pointed at. "Makucha, I think the plan just failed." Akili said. Makucha turned around and looked at the cheetah. "The plan hasn't failed yet!" he snarled at her. "Well... Rani is still awake, and it seems as if Kion is with her." Makucha now turned back towards the Tree of Life, and indeed he saw Raine walking out, with Kion next to her. "What is he doing here?!" Makucha yelled. "Makucha, I don't think it was a smart idea to yell. They spotted us." Mtunzi said.

Kion walked out of the Tree of Life, with Rani next to him. "What do you think the noise could be?" Kion asked Rani. "I really don't know, but it could be something bad, so stay alert." Kion then heard Makucha. He turned his head in the direction the sound of the leopard came from. Rani did the same. The two lions both saw him. He was with a big army. "Rani, we have to wake up the others, so we can fight them. We must protect the Tree of Life. Whatever it takes." Kion said as he ran back into the Tree of Life, where everyone was still asleep. "Whatever it takes." Rani responded once Kion was gone.