Chapter 21: The fire

Kiara was together with Simba and Nala on Pride Rock. They felt sad about Kion his situation. The three lions picked up a weird smell after a while. "What is that smell?" Kiara asked. She headed out of the den to check what it was. She saw the smoke and ran back into the den. "Mom, dad, there's a fire! And I couldn't see Mrembo anywhere!" Simba shot up hearing this. "We have to find her!" With that said, Kiara, Simba and Nala all ran out. "You two, go there. I will get the Lion Guard there too." Simba said.

The Lion Guard was chilling in their lair. "There haven't been much problems lately." Tazama said. "You are right, Tazama." Imara commented. "Don't say that, we want to keep it that way, and when you say something like that, the opposite will always happen." Kasi told the two. Simba ran into the lair. "Lion Guard, there is a fire, and Mrembo is lost. We have to stop the fire and find her!" he said. "You got it, Simba." Vitani said. "Lets go Lion Guard, you heard Simba. That fire has to be stopped, and Mrembo has to be found." Everyone walked out of the lair. "I told you that you should not say stuff like that." Kasi told Tazama.

After seeing the fire, Kion started running towards Pride Rock. He had to inform the Lion Guard about what was happening. While he was running towards Pride Rock, he spotted his mother and Kiara in the distance, running towards the fire, but Kion kept on running towards Pride Rock. When he was close to Pride Rock, he saw his father, together with the Lion Guard, heading into the direction of the fire. Kion changed direction, so he would be heading towards the fire too. "Thought you might want some help!" Kion said once he catched up with his father. "Kion, we could use your help indeed. It is not just the fire, Mrembo is lost too, we have to find her!" "You got it dad." Kion said, as he upped the pace of his running, so he would get to the fire quicker

Kiara and Nala were already at the fire, when Kion arrived. "I'm here to help." he said. "I'll try and catch Mrembo her scent, so I can find her." "Won't that be difficult with the smell from the fire." Kiara asked her brother. "It will be, but do you have any better ideas, sis?" "Unfortunately, I don't." "Than I'm going to track her by scent." Kion said as he started sniffing around. After a few minutes of tracking, it looked like he wouldn't be finding Mrembo's scent. While he was searching, the Lion Guard and Simba already arrived. They started to stop the fire. Suddenly Kion called out for Kiara. "She has been here! I will go and find her!" Kion started following the scent, but he came to an abrupt stop when he heard a scream. "HELP! SOMEBODY!" Kiara got a worried look on her face when she heard it. "That was Mrembo! She is in the fire, we have to get her out!"

The fire was still raging around the Pridelands, and the Lion Guard was doing all they could to stop it, but it was too big to do that quickly. Kion had nothing but fear to be seen in his eyes. Mrembo was stuck in the fire, and someone had to get her out. Suddenly he ran towards the fire, and jumped in. Kiara was shocked by Kion's heroic, but dumb action. "KION!" she yelled, worried about him.

The fire was hot, and it made his body hurt, but it didn't make Kion stop and go back. Finding Mrembo was the only important thing for him right now. Her screams for help guided him towards the cub. "Hold on Mrembo, I'm coming!" "Uncle Kion, is that you?!" the cub asked. "Yes, it is me! Keep yelling, so I can hear where you are! I'm getting you out of here!" Kion told her, and Mrembo followed the instructions she was given by her uncle.

Kiara was crying. The fire was big, her daughter was in it, and her brother just followed her in there. They would both be doomed.

The fire kept burning, and Kion started to have trouble breathing, but he still didn't stop. Eventually he found Mrembo. Mrembo was glad to see Kion. Kion picked her up with his mouth, and started running out of the fire.

When she didn't hear Mrembo yelling anymore, Kiara gave up hope. She turned around, laid down, and started crying even harder. Kion jumped out of the fire, with Mrembo in his mouth. He walked towards Kiara and dropped the cub in front of her. The cub cuddled up in her mother's paws, as Kiara her tears changed from tears from sadness into tears of joy. Her cub was all right, and that was all thanks to Kion, and his heroic, but still stupid action.

Kion's fur had burnt thanks to the fire, but it didn't matter much to him. "No need to thank me. This is... what I am... I'm supposed to... to do." Kion said, panting, after which he collapsed.

It was late at night, and Kion woke up inside Pride Rock. "How am I still alive?" he asked himself surprised. Kiara was laying next to him. "Maybe the great kings of the past offered you a second chance, because you wanted to risk your own life to safe a cub, that wasn't even yours." she guessed. "You might be right." Kion commented. "How are you feeling, Kion?" Kiara asked. "I feel awful. Breathing hurts, my body hurts, and most likely the burning made me look like shit." "That burning did bad things to your looks indeed, but it doesn't make you look like that. It makes you look like a hero, willing to risk his own life to safe someone else's." "Is it alright if I stay in the Pridelands for a little longer, just so I can recover before I leave?" Kion asked. "I owe you one Kion. After you've saved my daughter's life, I would be the worst queen, and sister ever, if I would decline a simple offer like this one. Of course you are allowed to stay for as long as you need." Kion let out a massive yawn. "Thanks sis. I don't know what I would do without you." he said. "I'll always be here for you, Kion." Kiara said, but Kion didn't hear it anymore, since he was asleep already. When Kiara noticed this, she laid down again, and started sleeping too.