Chapter 7: Asleep

It was early in the morning at the tree of life and everyone was asleep, except for one lioness. Rani couldn't get herself to sleep that night. She wanted to watch over Kion, and be there for him when he wakes up. Kion on the other hand was in a deep sleep and didn't show any signs of waking up soon. Suddenly Rani heared a noise coming from behind her. She shot up to check who or what the noise came from, only to find out Simba was waking up. Rani sighed. "Oh, it is just you waking up. Nothing to be scared about." "Good morning Rani. Didn't mean to startle you." "Good morning to you too Simba. It's no problem. I'm just a little on edge. I haven't slept at all last night." "Worried about Kion?" the bigger male lion asked. "Yeah. I just want to make sure that he won't be alone when he wakes up." After she said that, Rani yawned. "I'm awake right now. You should get some sleep. I'll wake you up when Kion wakes up. Alright?" Simba proposed. "Sounds good to me." She laid down again. "Sleep tight." Simba said calmly. Rani fell asleep only a few seconds later.

The sun started coming up and the animals of the tree of life started waking up, except for two. The king and queen were sleeping by each others side. Kiara yawned as she woke up. "Good morning dad." She said, just to be hushed at by him. He pointed towards Kion and Rani. "Kion is still asleep, as you can see, and Rani has only just started sleeping." he wispered. "I think it's a good idea to get out of here and leave these two love birds alone." Kiara said as she got up and started walking out of the tree of life as quiet as possible.

Fuli was outside when Kiara came out. "How is Kion?" she asked. "Still asleep, and so is Rani." Kiara answered. "Okay, see you later Kiara" Fuli said as she turned around. "Fuli, wait! I've got an idea." "Oh. And what is that idea if I may ask?" "Shall we go for a walk. Just the two of us. We've known each other for so long now, and still we barely know anything about each other. I think we should get to know each other better." Kiara suggested. "Sounds good to me. Lets go."

Rani opened her eyes. Kion laid next to her, still asleep. She got to her feet and walked outside. There was nobody in sight. Rani kept walking, looking if there were any problems to take care of. She suddenly felt a light pain in her body, around her heart, but ignored it, thinking it wasn't a big problem. After what felt like walking around for hours she hadn't found anybody, so she decided to walk back to the tree of life.

Rani finally arrived at the tree of life. "Rani?" Rani heard Kion's voice. "Kion, you're awake. That's great." Rani said. She walked back into the tree, and found Kion's body, still sleeping. "Kion?" she asked. "Rani, could you come back outside?" Kion asked her. Rani turned around to walk outside, while she gave one last look at Kion's body. When she got outside she looked at the sky, and she started crying, as she saw a lion's head in the clouds. "Kion, please tell me it's not true. Please, tell me you're still alive." "I'm so sorry, Rani. I really am so sorry."

Simba was still relaxing in the tree of life, since he promised Rani to look over Kion, and he didn't want to break his promise. He started to hear somebody sobbing. He checked who it came from and noticed that Rani had just woken up, and was the one who was sobbing. "What is wrong, Rani?" Simba asked her. "Has he woken up?" she asked. "Not yet." Simba replied. "Is there anything we can do for you, Rani? he asked. "Unless you can wake him up, just leave me alone." the queen replied in between her sobbing. "Was it a bad dream?" Simba asked, to which Rani replied. "I don't want to talk about it." Simba knew enough after her reaction to know she did have a bad dream. "He'll wake up, everything will be fine." he said as he walked out. When Rani knew she was alone with Kion she cuddled up beside him, as she tried to get some more sleep.

"Fuli, Kiara! There you are." Ullu said as she flew towards the two. I've got a message I had to deliver to you, Kiara." "Oh, really? A message? For me?" Kiara asked confused. "Yes, it came from the Pridelands. Kovu is sick." "Kovu, sick? I've got to get back home right now. Can you tell my parents about it, Fuli?" "Sure, Kiara. No problem." Fuli replied. "Asante." Kiara replied. Kiara and Fuli seperated their ways as Kiara ran back towards the mountain pass, so she could go towards the Pridelands, while Fuli ran in the direction of the tree of life.

A few minutes later Fuli saw Simba just outside the tree of life. "Simba, I need to tell you something important." "Hey, Fuli. Weren't you with Kiara?" "Yeah, I was, but she's going back towards the Pridelands. We just received message that Kovu is sick, so Kiara ran back." "Okay, thanks for letting me know." the old king said. "No problem" she replied.

The day turned into the night, and Rani woke up again, but Kion was still asleep. Baliyo, Surak, Nirmala, Nala and Simba came back into the tree of life. Nirmala didn't waste any second and started checking on Kion right away. Everybody stayed quiet, when Nirmala suddenly broke the silence. "He'll wake up any second now." Rani stood up. "Asante, Nirmala. Thank you so much."