Chapter 11: "Dad?"

Mrembo heard crying coming from behind her. She turned around to see Kiara sitting next to Kovu, who laid on the top of Pride Rock with his eyes closed. "Dad, come on. Lets go back down." She said it again after a few seconds, but Kovu didn't respond. "Mrembo, can you fetch Rafiki for me, sweetheart?" Kiara asked. "Sure mom." Mrembo said as she walked back down Pride Rock. "Don't leave me Kovu, you have promised me." Kiara said.

"Rafiki, wake up!" Mrembo yelled once she arrived at Rafiki's tree. Rafiki looked out of his tree. "Ah, young Mrembo. Calm down and tell me what is going on." "It is my dad, Rafiki. He was showing me the sunrise from the top of Pride Rock. When it was over we wanted to go back, but dad fell asleep. Mom told me to go get you."

The lion cub and the old mandrill walked up towards the top of Pride Rock. When they reached their destination Rafiki walked over to Kovu, and Mrembo walked over to Kiara. Rafiki put his hand on Kovu's chest. "His heart is not beating any longer. There is nothing I can do to help him. The illness has beaten him." When he said that tears formed in the eyes of Kiara and Mrembo. Kiara lost her mate, and Mrembo lost her dad. The three all helped getting the body of the dead king down into the den of Pride Rock.

Once they reached the den everyone was shocked to see Kovu dead. It was Zuri who said something first. "Is he... dead.?" she asked. "Unfortunately, yes. Kovu is..." Kiara confirmed, but she couldn't finish her sentence, because she started crying. Tiifu got next to Kiara. "It is okay to cry, just let it out." she said.

Later that day Jasiri came into the Pridelands. She didn't see any of the lions who were usually walking around. She couldn't even find the Lion Guard doing their patrol. "Something must be wrong." she said to herself, as she started going in the direction of Pride Rock. Once she got there she noticed that everyone was inside of the den, and everyone was mourning. She saw Kiara, who seemed to be crying the loudest out of all lions. Then she noticed Vitani, who was trying to stay tough, but couldn't help but cry a lot. Jasiri walked over to her. "Vitani, what is going on?" she asked. "It is Kovu. He didn't survive his illness." Vitani told her. Oh, Vitani, I am so sorry." Jasiri said. "I'm here for you." she continued. "Thank you Jasiri."

With all the attention going to the death of Kovu, no one noticed that Zazu flew away. He was going to the tree of life, with a message, but this time was special. He didn't get an order to deliver a message, like he usually would. He just felt like he needed to tell Simba, Nala and Kion what had happened that morning.

Fuli, Bunga, Beshte, Ono and Anga were on patrol at the mountain pass again. Nothing had happened so far, and everyone was, once again, bored to death from doing completely nothing. Kion was walking towards them. "You guys really are bored from doing this, aren't you all?" he said. Fuli wanted to answer that question. "Yeah, nothing is happening, which means we are doing absolutely nothing. We would be off way better at the Tree of Life, where we would actually have something to do." "I can see that" Kion said. "How about we split the patrol in three shifts. You guys take the first half of the day, while Rani and I patrol the Tree of Life. The second half of the day we swap that, so Rani and I will be watching here, and you can patrol the tree of life, and in the night the Night Pride will patrol here. What do you think of that?" Kion suggested. "That sounds great. Thanks a lot, Kion. Asante." Fuli said. "Then that means that you can all go now, Rani will be here any minute." The group didn't waste any more seconds after hearing that, and they walked away from the mountain pass.

Kion was still alone at the mountain pass when he noticed something was flying towards him from a distance. He waited for the bird to land in front of him. "Good afternoon Zazu, what brings you here today?" "I came here with an important message." "Oh, just for me or does anyone else have to know it too." "Your parents and Rani should know this too." Rani walked into the mountain pass. "Kion, I'm ready for patrol in the mountain pass." she said. She walked closer, and saw Zazu. "Oh, hello Zazu. What are you doing here?" she asked. "I'm here with an important message. Kion is going to fetch his parents, then I'll tell it."

"Kion, I thought you said you would be at the mountain pass for the rest of the day?" Simba said as he saw his son running towards him. "Hey dad, I would have been, yeah. But when I was there Zazu came flying towards me. He says he has a message for us, all of us. It is for you, mom, me, and even Rani. She is already waiting there." Kion explained. "That means it must be important. Shall we go." Simba said. "Yeah, we better go back."

It was already starting to become dark, as the family of lions walked into the mountain pass. "Kion, you're back." Rani said. "Hello Simba, Nala. Good to see you." "Great to see you too, Zazu. You told Kion you had a message for all of us." "Yes, I have one indeed. I am here to inform you all of what happened at Pride Rock this morning. Kovu has died from his illness, while he was peacefully watching the sunrise from the top of Pride Rock together with Kiara and Mrembo." Zazu told, shocking every single lion around him.