Chapter 7

Song: Too Good at Goodbyes [Sam Smith]

As Tia and her mother entered the mansion, members of the Oberoi household started feeling worried rather than curious. If Shivaay's brooding face wasn't enough already, Tia's mysteriously smiling expression made the matter worse. The air was undoubtedly growing thick, but the tension was thicker. 

It was Mrs. Pinky Singh Oberoi who lost her patience, finally. Even after almost an hour of drinks and snacks, his son was rather busy discussing business with Mrs. Kapoor. She was sure that it wasn't the reason for this urgent meeting. It can't be. His face was far from it. 

"Shivaay, will you tell us anything why we got such an urgent notice to meet here? Otherwise, I will prefer to sleep much less waiting here." Pinky spoke in a quite haughty tone catching every single pair of eyes on her. "And," she continued maintaining the same tone. "I don't think it's doing mummy JI (mother, here, mother-in-law) any favor to sit here for so long."

And that did the job. Shivaay straightened upon his place and for some reason, Tia stood up from her place and moved to stand beside him. With her way of keeping her hand on his shoulder and the way she looked at her softly, it felt as if she was there as a silent supporter. He looked up at her once, drawing a deep breath, and stood up.

"Dadi, Mom, Bade papa.."  "I decided..." a soft palm touched him and he looked at her. His respect for this lady growing a bit more than it did in the past 24 hours.

"We decided,... we are breaking this alliance here. We won't be getting married. I am sorry Dadi, I am sorry Mom, and I truly apologize Mrs. Kappor. But it will not be possible to carry this alliance anymore." 

For the first time, Shivaay felt scared to see his family's reaction. In all his past decisions, he knew they would be proud, happy, or elated. Today, for the first time he has done something that will probably let them down. He knew things were at stake. Maybe, his mother will be upset with his decision. But today, for the first time, he felt lighter. Even with fear and panic clouding his mind, he felt lighter. So, he looked up. 

"What made you decide this Shivaay?" He heard his mother speak for the first time, in what felt like hours. Her face and voice both unusually calm. "Mom, Tia is a beautiful woman. Not only because she looks beautiful, but she is also a beautiful person at heart. And, she doesn't deserve a relation, where her husband will be busy thinking of his possibility with someone than paying attention to her. It is better this way mom." He spoke softly yet loud enough for everyone to listen. He kept his head on her lap, to find the comfort he needed right now. Suddenly, he felt a soft touch on his head. 

"It was about time Shivaay. I am happy you took this decision." That was all he heard from her, a beautiful smile gracing her face that strangely looked similar to the one she wears when she is proud of him. 

"You aren't..??"

"Shivaay, I am your mother. The woman sitting there is your grandmother. These relationships aren't only made with blood Shivaay. we know you." She assured her and so did his grandmother, making him feel much better. "If you need to talk to anyone at this moment, it should be Mrs. Kapoor. We can continue this later."

"Mrs. Kapoor, I truly apologize for this. But I truly don't believe I can give Tia what she truly deserves. And she deserves the best. I hope this will not impact our professional relationship anyway. But if it does, I will have nothing to say." He finished with a soft and apologetic smile.

He turned to look at Tia who stepped closer to him and took him in a hug. He has never really hugged this woman when in a relationship and now having a passionate one after calling out their engagement. He chuckled at the thought and as if sharing his thoughts Tia smiled as well. A soft smile gracing both their lips. 

Annika, who entered the mansion at that exact moment, saw the whole scene unfolding before her eyes. 

A deep pang hit her house and bile rose on her throat as if pushing all of her morning breakfast out of her stomach. She gulped it down, looking up to blink her tears back. It wasn't the time to fall week. She has a wedding to prepare. And maybe, sooner than she has expected. She saw Tia passing a sweet smile at her like every other day. For some reason, that smile felt like poison to her today. Her heart burnt a little more, her eyes stung, a sob escaping her lips almost.

She had seen him from the corner of her eyes. His face looking like a mixture of hurt and confusion. But she didn't have the time to think about him. Not anymore. So she moved to her allotted in haste steps. Leaving a trail of invisible tears behind. Someone else's tears also joined hers, unknown to her.

________*******_______

While getting into the car, Tia held her hand close to her heart. Feeling his touch, for one last time. Even arrogant, even hostile, that man was not easy to ignore. Her heart couldn't either. She fell for him too. But now that she could see him looking at that one lady in a way she always wished to see in him, she couldn't be selfish. She always heard about love being selfless and giving. It was her time to test that theory. She smiled, a little drop of tear tickling through her eyes. Her mother hugged her and pulled her closer. She only sobbed, letting her pain find the peace it needed in the only place she could. Until next time, when she finds someone. This time someone who will look at her, like Shivaay does at Annika.

_______________

Sorry for the massive late. 

Hope you enjoy this. I will really love to know how many of you expected this.