Chapter 8

|| Naked - James Arthur ||

The pain of heartbreak is way more painful than any other pain, yet we don't have a medicine for this. And, shouldn't it hurt less if you were always aware of your impending heartbreak? Then why doesn't it hurt less? Why does it pain so much?

Annika wiped her face with the back of her palm, scribbling all the details of the event on her notepad. Her eyes have turned red already after so much crying. Probably her tear ducts were more adamant than herself, to not let go of their right let their pain to be known. She was furious now. At herself and her luck! The girl who never looked at a guy had to fall for the Shivaay Singh Oberoi. Someone, who is way out of her league, and that too when she was his wedding planner! Can her luck be any worse?

Turning the diary, she opened the 1st page of it. The names "Shivaay weds Tia" are drawn beautifully with calligraphy. Her eyes turned a bit blurry and a drop fell over Tia's name, smudging it. She looked at the page, with a blank face when she realized now it was her name under the name weds that could be read clearly. A little sad smile took over her place and she closed the diary shut. 

It was hurting her, but she can go through it.

It was about 3:00 pm when Daksh entered the quiet mansion and moved to Shivaay's room after asking one of the staff. The pale white man leaning on the corner tree of the pool area was looking lost in some thought. He moved to him with slow and measured steps and sat by him, catching him off guard. He knew that Shivaay has seen him, but he didn't acknowledge and both kept looking at the wall standing before them. The reflection of the quiet water dancing on the wall, creating a beautiful light wallpaper.

No one knew how long it had been until he heard Shivaay speak. "How was your date with Annika? Did you... fix a date?" Daksh heard him speak. His voice giving away his pain and inner turmoil. That idiot loved the girl too much to let go. 

"Date? For what?" He asked. His voice almost giving away his inner frustration.

"Wedding date Daksh." He heard Shivaay whisper. Is he even real?

"Yes..." and Shivaay's head whipped at him finally after so long. The little light of hope that shone in the corner of his eyes, going dim now. "Oh.."

"We fixed our wedding date just like you and Tia."

"Um..."

"Shivaay, I love Annika but the girl loves you way too much to choose anyone else. I am sure you must be aware of how it feels to be engaged with someone despite losing your heart to someone else. So, she didn't do that."

There was a long pause and two loud sighs, ringing through the quiet atmosphere.

"And, love you both, especially you way too much to cause any damage dude. If you are going to ask me about me trying for her, the answer will be no. I love her but I can also see that it is you who is in her heart. So, no. I am leaving. Not the mansion just her. I have her as my friend, that's enough."

Daksh stood up from his place after a few minutes. The comfortable silence now had turned awkward. No matter how many times you watch the track unfold in movies about two friends loving the same girl, it is always messed up if happens in real. 

"Oh for you know, Tia told me about the... you know." Daksh gave a suggestive look at Shivaay and he only nodded. His mind clogged with too many thoughts.

It was nearly evening when he came down to the hall to find Annika sitting by his grandmother and his mom. Mostly talking about the event they were planning for. His lips curved into a soft smile as soon as he saw her face. Their conversation reaching his ears but barely getting registered in his mind until he heard the word "wedding". And like his nickname, Billu (male kitten), his ears perked up.

"Dadi, so... which date did you fix for the wedding?" He heard her ask his grandmother and he froze at his spot. Her face looked determined. 

"Which wedding Annika?" It was his mom, who answered for his dadi, "Shivaay has canceled his wedding today before you came." The women spoke with a soft smile. He saw her stiffening. Why?

"Oh. So, when will the wedding happen? How long will he postpone the day? It is getting difficult for me to..." 

"Annika beta", he heard his grandma this time, "You didn't hear Pinky, beta (child). Shivaay didn't postpone the wedding today. He canceled it. He isn't getting married."

In a moment, Annika turned and she was now looking at his eyes. He didn't know what happened, but her face seemed like a canvas, painted with relief, confusion, sadness, and rage. He felt something twisting in his heart. Was it pain seeing her hurt or the fear of the inevitable? He didn't know. He just stared at her. His eyes, not able to leave her face.

"Why?" He heard her speak to no one in particular yet he knew it was for him. He felt as if the air was sucked out of his lungs. He froze at the place. Before he could say anything he heard her bidding adios to his grandmother and the next moment she was leaving the mansion.

He stood there rooted, staring at his retreating back. A stray tear rolling down his eyes. He could hear his heart hammering in his chest loud and clear. Did he mess it up, again?

____

Standing on the front porch of the mansion, Annika inhaled the air. His look playing before her eyes. Today, for the first time, she felt a bit hopeful. She knew, he had canceled his wedding for her! Hearing the sentence in her head, a mocking laugh escaped her lips. Is it really true or just a deja vu of the night when he confessed his love under intoxication. 

Though his face begged her to hope, her mind wasn't ready. If it was true, why didn't he just come to her today? Why staring at her from the staircase? Why didn't he say something to her? 

There were questions but sadly, no answer. Until he gives them to her. Willingly.

'Cause here I am
I'm giving all I can
But all you ever do is mess it up
Yeah, I'm right here
I'm trying to make it clear
That getting half of you, just ain't enough
I'm not going to wait until you're done
Pretending you don't need anyone
I'm standing here naked