I Care About You ; 20 (Beth)

Author's note: I do not believe anything is going on between Derek/Kate/Justene. This is strictly my imagination and nothing I write in this part has been confirmed. Okay, onto the story :)
------
I checked my hair and make up in the mirror before walking to the living space of Derek's house. Julianne and Mark were sitting on the couch talking about the football game that they had watched that afternoon. Derek was sitting on the floor in between the coffee table and the couch. I smiled and walked over, sitting on the couch in front of him.
"Hey." He smiled, and continued petting one of Julianne's dogs.
"Who else is coming?" Mark asked, moving to the floor.
"Well, Emma, Val, Justene, maybe Janel?"
"Justene?" I asked out of confusion.
"She's a friend of mine." Julianne added, before smiling.
I nodded and went back to playing with my hair.
"Babe did you see my Christmas tree."
I looked up and looked around, before spotting a small little thing in the corner.
"What is that? A tree for Julianne's dogs?"
"Nope." He popped the p.
"What the hell, that is not okay."
Derek laughed, probably knowing that Christmas was my favorite holiday.
"It's perfect."
"No Derek. We're getting you a bigger tree."
"I like my small one."
"I don't care, that is unacceptable."
"Bethany." He said, laughing with Julianne and Mark.
"Why are you guys laughing, that tree is a disgrace."
They laughed even harder and I huffed, pulling out my phone. I began looking for Christmas tree shops around town and found a couple, book marking them. There was a knock on the door and Derek and I stood up. He walked over to the door and Emma, Val and Janel were standing there.
"Janel!!"
I ran over to her and hugged her. She smiled and hugged me back.
"I missed you."
"It's only been like a week or two babe." She laughed.
"I know but to me that's like forever."
We all laughed and went to sit down before another knock was heard.
"I got it." I smiled and walked back to the door. Opening it, a brunette was standing there checking her hair in her phone.
"Hello?"
"Oh hi." She smiled and walked in. I shut the door and shook my head.
"Derek! How have you been?"
She engulfed him in a hug and he laughed.
"Pretty good, how about you?"
"I've been good. I was at a couple of shows, not sure if you saw me."
"I did, trust me."
Well that hurts. I walked back in and sat on the couch where I was before. Derek sat on the floor next to the brunette.
"Beth, this is Justene."
I smiled warmly and she just smirked.
"So this is Bethany. You did awesome this season." She stretched out the word awesome.
"Thanks...?"
Derek went back to talking to her and I looked over at everyone else who were enveloped in their own conversations. Looking down at my phone, I received a message from Janel.
'Who's the chick?'
I looked over at her and shrugged. She motioned for me to come over and I did, sitting beside her.
"How's Pretty Little Liars?"
"It's actually a lot cooler now that Mona is dead. The scenes are incredible to shoot."
I smiled and nodded. I glanced back over as Derek who had his hand on Justene's shoulder, laughing. I tuned them out and turned my attention back to Janel, Val and Emma.
-----
When Derek was saying goodbye to everyone, I snuck upstairs to grab my bag. Sighing, I closed his door, turning around and bumping into someone. It was Derek himself.
"Where ya going?"
"To my house." I said simply.
"Why? I thought you were staying here."
"I want to go home Derek, I haven't been there in like a week and a half and I really need to get back there and tidy up."
"Okay, well I'll drive you then."
"I'll call a cab."
"Beth I can drive you, it's no problem."
"No Derek!" I shouted, instantly regretting it.
"Why are you acting like this?"
"Why do you care?"
"Because I care about you."
"Are you sure you aren't confusing me with Justene?"
His mouth dropped and I sighed.
"That's what I thought. I'm gonna call a cab."
I proceeded to walk down the stairs and Derek followed.
"Beth, wait."
"Why should I? You have her. She is better than me in every way. So don't waste your time on me."
"Bethany-"
"No Derek. I have to go."
I opened the door and walked out, not hearing it close behind me. I turned my head and Derek was just standing there, watching me walk away. I turned out of his view and pulled my phone out. I dialed the first number in my recents and held the phone to my ear.
"Hello?"
"Wit?"
"Beth?"
"Yeah it's me. Can you come to Derek's? I need a ride home."
"And Derek can't drive you why?"
"We got into a fight. Please just come."
"I'm on my way."
I hung up the phone and sat down on the pavement, throwing my head into my hands. It was about 20 minutes before Witney arrived, and I jumped into her car immediately.
"What happened?"
I felt tears roll down my cheeks before I could speak. "I'm so stupid."
"What do you mean?"
"I was stupid to think I could be in a relationship with him. There are so many girls that are better than I am, and so many girls that are better for him."
She sighed. "Justene was there."
"What? How do you know?"
"Mark texted me."
I nodded and just sighed.
"Bethany you are not stupid."
"He barely paid any attention to me. It was like she was all that mattered."
"I know, I'm sorry."
"It's okay. Can you just take me home?"
"Of course."
Witney pulled out of the driveway and we began our ride to my house.
~~~~~