✰ 11

After talking about Emily, and after me getting all sensitive and pussy-like, Athena did a good job of changing the topic. I couldn't even believe I had even told her about almost getting killed and about how Emily betrayed me, but I did. When she asked, it was like my barrier cascaded down. There was nothing I could do, and before I knew it, I was explaining every single detail. Athena hung on to my every word and I could tell she felt sorry for what I had to go through. That time in my life was rough and it has been rough up to now. I just hoped somehow Athena could change me. She had already unfroze my heart. There's no telling what she could do next. "So, now you ask me something," Athena said. "I won't have anything as interesting as that to tell you, but you can try."

"Have you ever dated anyone," I asked curiously. I'm sure that she has. She was hell of beautiful. Of course, she could have just about anyone that she wanted. A small smile crept onto her face as she nodded. I wasn't sure if she was smiling because of me, or at the thought of her ex. I hoped it wasn't the latter though. "I mean, what were they like?" She bit her lower lip. "That's only if you mind me asking."

Athena shrugged her shoulders. "Well, I only had one true girlfriend. Her name was Tessa, but I called her Tess. She was from a pretty wealthy family. Her grandfather used to be famous basketball player, and her father owned a couple of businesses. She had the deepest brown eyes, and her skin was almost like chocolate."

"Wait, she was black?"

"Yeah. Something wrong with that?"

"No. I'm just a bit...surprised."

Athena rolled her eyes at me playfully but then she continued talking. "We started dating in high school and just broke it off last year. She just tried to give me too much. As you say, I'm the 'independent-type', and she couldn't respect that. It sounds stupid, but the worst thing anyone can do is spoil me. I hate having to struggle, but it's something amazing about getting a paycheck and knowing that you made that money fair and square. Therefore, I ended things with her and I gave her all the gifts she gave me back. We haven't talked since. She's probably in college right now. She wanted to be a lawyer." Damn, I was definitely a downgrade to Tessa. She was wealthy but not because of drugs, and she went to college.

"I thought they say once you go black that you never go back," I joked to lighten the mood. Athena cackled and quickly covered her mouth with both of her hands. I chuckled at how adorable she was. "What? Jamal always tells me that." Athena was still laughing her little ass off. "Are you broken?" She giggled and her eyes began to get watery. She buried her face into my shoulder as she giggled.

She finally peeked up at me as a tear of laughter streamed down her face. I wiped the tear with my thumb and her cheeks blushed a crimson color. "You can be really funny when you want to," she said with a huge smile. "I never seriously thought about color. I just like girls," she admitted.

"Same," I replied. She took my hand and began playing with my fingers. We were both quiet for a while. Athena was still smiling but her eyes were slowly closing. I could tell that she was fighting sleep. "Why don't you get some rest," I whispered into her hair.

"Can you stay the night," she mumbled with her eyes still closed.

I nodded even though I knew she couldn't see me. "Of course."

Athena fell asleep almost immediately, and after a while, so did I. The next thing I knew I was opening my eyes. The sun was shining in through the blinds and I groaned as I covered my eyes. I peeked through my fingers to see if Athena was still in the room, but she wasn't. After I wiped the sleep out of my eyes, I swung my legs over the bed and just sat there. I stared at the white wall for a few seconds and my eyes started to close again. "Hey!" My eyes shot back open and I looked towards the doorframe. Athena was leant against it. From the looks of it, she had already gotten dressed for the day. She was in an ugly uniform. Her shirt was a dullish grey and her pants were khaki, and she had her hair back in a neat ponytail. "You slept in for a while," she stated before giving me a soft smile. "I have to get to work in half an hour, so," she trailed off.