Chapter 76

With Fred and George gone, I found myself spending more time in the library than ever, joining the other fifth years in studying for the O.W.Ls.

     But on my free times, of course I had to accompany Lee in throwing Dungbombs every here and there, and think of different plans to reck Umbitch's office.

For the approaching exams, I was doing alright memorizing the spells and their movements, but a feeling of panic overwhelmed me each time that I thought about the practical exams.

Before, I thought that Dumbledore was going to make an excuse for me and get me out of them, but he was long gone and I'd heard no news of him on the matter.

Although, on the day of the final Quidditch match which was between Gryffindor and Ravenclaw, I got my answer and my worries partly soothed.

I was walking down towards the pitch with Lee that we were stopped by Professor McGonagall.

"Hello, Profe —"

"Follow me, Hooper," she said briskly and cut me off, ignoring Lee's suspicious gaze.

Without another word, I waved him goodbye and followed McGonagall out of the hall. She led me to her office, locking its door behind her before turning to me.

"I'm sorry, but I had to take you away," she said, sitting down behind her desk. "This was the most reasonable time to meet, now that everyone's attention is elsewhere and on the match."

"What is it, Professor?" I questioned curiously.

"Professor Dumbledore has thought of a way to get you out of your practical examinations," she said. "Someone else is going to do them for you."

"What?" I raised a brow in curiosity. "How's that going to work?"

"We've had someone from the order volunteer for the job," she started to explain. "Your written examinations takes place in the morning and practicals are in the afternoon. After your morning exams, you are to retrieve to a chamber hidden behind the one-eyed witch, where I know Mr. Filch and Professor Umbridge don't know about and switch places with your imposter."

     "But who is it?" I raised a brow. "And how? Polyjuice potion?"

     "Not really. She's a Metamorphmagus," she said. "Anyway, the switching will only be needed for three of your exams that will require wand work; Charms, Transfigurations, and Defense Against the Dark Arts."

     "But —"

     "Now that's enough questions, Hooper," said McGonagall firmly, standing up. "We better join the others now before they realize we're missing from the crowd."

***

Gryffindor won that match as Ron had become more confident than ever and Ginny caught the Snitch at last, causing a happy uproar from all the Gryffindors.

     But soon after, the atmosphere became gloomier and more tense as everyone started to get anxious about the upcoming exams.

      The practicals for Potions, Herbology, Astronomy, and Care of Magical Creatures surely weren't a problem, but I still found myself stressing out a bit about them.

     I kept telling myself that O.W.Ls didn't mean anything and were going to be no use to me, seeing as at some point I had to leave this timeline.

      But as the night before our first exam arrived, I found myself letting go of all that as I started panicking over something else.

The day of our History of Magic exam.

I really came to wish that Fred and George were still here, being the only people who knew how to make everything feel brighter and more cheerful.

With them gone, I found myself strolling the corridors alone that night, not in the mood to socialize with anyone. But of course I wasn't that lucky.

"Going to a secret meeting with your lover, Hooper?"

Startled, I turned around abruptly at the voice, seeing Draco Malfoy walking towards me alone with a sneer.

"Where are your little friends?" I said sarcastically, mentioning Crabbe and Goyle.

"What are you doing here, Hooper?" he asked again, stopping right before me, ignoring my question. "I can tell you're up to no good."

"I solemnly swear that I'm not," I said with a smirk. Malfoy frowned, looking puzzled.

     Grinning triumphantly to myself, I turned on my heels to leave, but I was stopped as he paced quickly towards me and in a quick motion, took a hold of my wrist firmly, preventing me from moving any further.

"It's rude to turn your back on your superiors," he snarled, causing me to turn on him. "Or has your daddy never taught you so?"

"You've got to have some nerve to have a go at my family," I snapped, glaring at him as I tried to jerk my hand away from his grasp, but it seemed pointless.

"I have a go at anyone I like."

I shook my head at him in disgust. "What have I ever done to you in the first place? As far as I can remember, you were always the one who came onto me with your insults!"

"I'm still waiting for my apology," he said coolly.

"Apology!?" I repeated sharply. "for what?"

"You bumped into me on your first day here back in King's Cross, or have you forgotten?"

"You're still on that?" I scoffed in disbelief. "You're so petty."

"You could've avoided it all, if you hadn't gone that far as to insult me in front of the whole damn school!"

      "Fine!" I huffed angrily. "I'm sorry."

      Draco blinked down at me, letting go of my wrist. "Wh-what?"

      "You wanted your apology and I gave it to you," I said, trying to speak calmly. "Are we done now?"

      He opened his mouth a few times but closed it again, staring at me with a confused frown.

When he failed to speak again, I nodded at him lightly and with that, left him alone in the dim corridor and went back to our Common Room.

Ever since I had seen the Vanishing Cabinet back on the first floor, I kept thinking about Draco, remembering what awaited him.

I pitied him, because I knew in a few months, he would be forced to become a Death Eater, in fear of Voldemort killing his parents. And I knew he wasn't going to stop.

He was the boy who had no choice.