Chapter 73

Throughout the week, I found my mind often wondering back to the Vanishing Cabinet and thought of all the terrible things that could be avoided if it were destroyed.

     But then again, if any death was necessary, it would be Dumbledore's; at some point even himself would come to realize this because just as he had said, some sacrifices are bound to take place.

     That day, I was meeting Fred and George halfway between our classes that I heard someone calling after me. Turning around, I saw Ginny pacing quickly towards me.

     "Hello," I waved at her when she reached me.

"Hey," she smiled. "Have you seen Fred and George?"

"I'm going to see them now," I said. "They're coming from Charms."

"Alright," she nodded. "I'll come with you then."

"Anything wrong?"

"Nah," she shook her hand reassuringly as we started walking again. "I'll tell you when we get to them."

After a few minutes, we saw Fred and George chatting as they were walking down the corridor and when they saw us, they waved, coming over.

"What's up, Sis?" said George, looking over at Ginny.

"It's about Harry," she said.

"Harry?" Fred grinned. "Aw, told him how you felt and got rejected?"

"Haha," said Ginny flatly. "You know, that's actually funny, coming from someone who couldn't grow a pair and ask the girl he liked to the Yule Ball."

Fred's smile vanished before he shouted, "For the last time! I was late!"

"If you say so." Ginny smirked and Fred made a face at her.

"So what is it?" George asked again, trying to muffle out Fred's grumpy numbles.

"Harry just told me he wants to somehow talk to Sirius."

My stomach lurched at the name and I looked down.

This meant that Harry had looked through the Pensieve and had watched Snape's worse memories and now wanted to have a chat with Sirius about his father.

"He does, does he?" Fred mused.

"Umbridge's fireplace is still connected to the Floo Network," said George. "It's unwatched for. He can see Sirius from there."

"My thoughts exactly," Ginny nodded. "Now it's just a matter of a great diversion." Fred and George shared knowing grins at that. "What?"

"We were hoping you'd say that," said George mischievously.

"We've been planning a... let's say... surprise, for our beloved new Headmistress," said Fred. "And now we have the perfect excuse to do it."

"Tell Harry about it, then, will you?" said Ginny. "I'll see you guys later." And with that, she walked away.

"There's no point hiding what we're planning with you, is there?" George asked, turning on me. "You already know, don't you?"

I grinned. "Obviously."

"But do you really know everything?" Fred mused.

"Pretty much," I shrugged.

"Oh, yeah?" said Fred challengingly. "So did you know before that I was going to do this right now?"

By that, he then started doing a weird chicken dance, making me laugh. "No, I didn't know. But it's not too surprising, with you being the big fat idiot that you are."

Fred immediately stopped dancing and narrowed his eyes down at me in a mocking manner, looking highly offended. "Did you just call me fat?"

I chuckled and shook my head at his childishness, pushing him away playfully as he laughed.

***

That night, the three of us went to the Gryffindor Common Room and we walked where Ron, Harry, and Hermione were sitting and joined them.

"Hey," said Fred, sitting down next to Harry. "Ginny's had a word with us about you," he said, stretching out his legs on the table in front of them. "She says you need to talk to Sirius?"

"What?" said Hermione sharply, glaring at Harry.

"Yeah . . ." said Harry, trying to sound casual, "yeah, I thought I'd like —"

"Don't be so ridiculous," said Hermione, straightening up and looking at him as though she could not believe her eyes. "With Umbridge groping around in the fires and frisking all the owls?"

"Well, we think we can find a way around that," said George, stretching and smiling. "It's a simple matter of causing a diversion. Now, you might have noticed that we have been rather quiet on causing mayhems?"

      "What was the point, we asked ourselves, of disrupting leisure time?" continued Fred. "No point at all, we answered ourselves." He grinned. "Anyway . . . we've decided we don't care about getting into trouble anymore."

"Have you ever?" asked Hermione.

" 'Course we have," said George, shrugging. "Never been expelled, have we?"

"We've always known where to draw the line," said Fred. "But it's business as usual from tomorrow," he continued briskly. "And if we're going to be causing a bit of uproar, why not do it so that Harry can have his chat with Sirius?"

"What sort of diversion is it?" asked Ron.

"You'll see, little bro," said Fred, as he and George got up again and so I followed their action.

"At least, you will if you trot along to Gregory the Smarmy's corridor round about five o'clock tomorrow."

"Now be good, children," said Fred, winking at them before we left the Common Room again.

I was quiet throughout the whole conversation as I found my mind more messed up as ever, walking next to the twins.

"I fancy something to eat," said George.

"We could go down to the kitchen," Fred shrugged. "What do you say, Lex?"

I still had trouble looking up at them and glanced down at my feet, frowning. "Actually — I think I'll go back to the Common Room again. I'm feeling a bit tired."

Fred and George said nothing and watched me questioningly as I waved at them and turned back on my heels, walking away.

But I couldn't have gone for more than two minutes that I heard hurried footsteps from behind, nearing me quickly.