Chapter 135

Even though neither Harry, nor Hermione and Ginny knew what had happened, having felt the tension, they all stared between Fred and I awkwardly as a painful silence fell among us.

       But Fred broke the silence when he managed to give me a small grin, waving at me lightly. "Hey."

       But I didn't answer him. Instead, I leaped forward and threw myself in his arms, clasping my hands on either sides of his face, and bringing him down into a kiss.

       As if he had been expecting this, he immediately kissed me back, wrapping his arms around me to bring closer to him.

       But with a chuckle, he soon pulled away, grinning playfully down at me. "Easy there, Miss Hooper. I'm not ready to become a father yet."

       I managed a scant smile, but it soon faded. "I'm so sorry, Freddie," I whispered, looking up at him.

      Fred bore a puzzled expression as he glanced down at me. "What are you apologizing for?"

      "I —" I was saying, but thought better and stopped myself, looking around only to see that Harry, Hermione, Ginny, and George were all still staring us.

        I cleared my throat at them uneasily and they thankfully got the hint, gathering in a corner to discuss Ron.

       So I turned my head again to face Fred with a guilty look washed all over me.

        "For everything," I said quietly so only he could hear me. "I'm sorry for thinking that it was a good idea to ask Draco to Hogsmeade, even as friends. And I'm sorry for snapping back at you and then leaving you there."

       Fred gave me a smile before leaning down and placing a soft kiss on my head before pulling back.

       "You really don't have to apologize for any of that — other than leaving me there feeling like a git," he said with grin. "I was overreacting, in know. I think jealousy is one of the lethal side effects of being a boyfriend." I chuckled at that.

       I was about to open my mouth and respond, but I was cut short when the doors to the ward opened and Madam Pomfrey looked around at us.

       "You can come inside," she said. "No more than six visitors, keep in mind! And you have to remain quiet while you're in there."

        So with that we followed her inside the hospital wing, walking toward the bed on which Ron was laying unconscious.

       "So, all in all, not one of Ron's better birthdays?" said Fred, looking down at his brother.

        "This isn't how we imagined handing over our present," said George grimly, putting down a large wrapped gift on Ron's bedside cabinet and sitting beside Ginny.

       "Yeah, when we pictured the scene, he was conscious," said Fred.

        "There we were in Hogsmeade, waiting to surprise him —" said George.

       "You were in Hogsmeade?" asked Ginny, looking up.

       "We were thinking of buying Zonko's, seeing as you're not allowed to buy our stuff," said Fred gloomily. "But never mind that now." He drew up a chair beside Harry and looked at Ron's pale face. "How exactly did it happen, Harry?"

       Harry retold the story he had already recounted to Dumbledore, to McGonagall, to Madam Pomfrey, to Hermione, and to Ginny and me.

      Hermione, who had been suspiciously quiet up until then, suddenly gave a inaudible sniff after Harry was done explaining.