Part 26

Henry

I never dreamed I would be this happy. Aiyana being pregnant would only be the icing on the cake.

I know I need to find Cheryl and talk to her. To be honest, I hadn't even thought about her before Aiyana said something.

I know that's terrible of me, which is why I feel like I owe it to her to apologize.

Aiyana said she is a teacher at the school so I head over there after a meeting with the Elders. We're working on a plan of action for the Council and making plans should it not go our way.

I knock on the door frame to the preschool, the teachers all looking up and bowing to me. Cheryl looks at me like a deer in headlights as I make my way over to her.

"Can I speak to you in private?"

She nods slowly, motioning me to follow her into an empty classroom.

I'm unsure how to start this conversation. We have so much history even though I've been gone for 15 years. The three of us truly were best friends, but I also know that I said some things as a child that I can't take back.

We stare at each other for a few seconds before she finally breaks the silence. "I don't know if I want to hug you, hit you, or both."

I chuckle, causing her to smile slightly. "I probably deserve the second more than the first. I'm sorry I didn't tell you who I was before I made that announcement to the pack. You deserved more than that."

She nods, "You're right, I do. I still don't understand why you didn't tell me from the beginning. I could have helped you."

I sigh, "I didn't even tell Aiyana, and she's my mate."

It's too late to take back the words as I see the tears build in her eyes. I sigh, "I'm sorry Cheryl, but I can't not say it. She's going to be my wife and will bear my pups. If we are going to continue our friendship, you're going to need to get used to me saying that."

She looks down at her hands, "It's just hard, you know? I was naïve to think that you would stick to your words when we were kids."

"That's what we were though, Cheryl, kids. We were just kids. With no way of knowing how our lives would turn out." I take a deep breath, "Just tell me you at least tried to move on?"

She shrugs, hugging herself as more tears fall. "I tried I guess, but nobody compares to your first love." She wipes her tears quickly, "I need to get back to the kids. Thank you for your apology. I'll let you know if we can continue our friendship. Goodbye Henry."

She walks away quickly and I feel the need to punch or kick something. My only hope now is that she will find her mate and understand that we were just dumb kids making promises we wouldn't be able to keep.

I walk to the fields to clear my head, working alongside my pack as we finish clearing the fields. We will hold a mass funeral for the dead and I've been thinking about what to do to memorialize the fallen wolves.

We work throughout the day, only stopping for lunch and a break or two. This pack deserves the right to mourn its losses. The wolves who were not part of our pack will be taken home with their Alphas and/or Betas.

We're almost done when I feel Aiyana's arms wrap around my waist from behind. I smile, turning to face her.

"Hey. What are you doing down here?"

She smiles sadly, "I was helping some of the Elders wrap the bodies for the funeral pyre and saw you over here looking all sweaty and sexy so I just had to come over."

I chuckle, pulling her into a sweet kiss. "You look pretty sexy yourself. How are you feeling? Have you had any morning sickness?"

She shakes her head, sighing softly. "That would almost make me feel better. Everything is just so unknown at this point."

I nod, kissing her forehead. "We'll get through this. In a week, Derrick will be able to tell us for sure and then we can announce it to the pack. You're going to make a wonderful mother to our pups." I grin as I kiss her again, holding her tightly to my chest.

"Come on, I have something to show you at the cottage." She pulls on my hand, pulling me towards the Beta Cottage.

I laugh when she tries to cover my eyes but can't reach from behind. "I'll just cover them myself, okay?"

She huffs but agrees, guiding me up the stairs and into the cottage. "Okay, now stay here."

I sigh, "Okay."

"And no peeking!"

I arch my eyebrow as she sounds much farther away.

"Can I look yet?"

"No!"

I can't help but laugh, "Aiyana, what's going on?"

"Okay, open them."

I let my hands down and open my eyes to see lit candles everywhere and what looks like a picnic set up on the floor of the living room.

"Wow. You did all this?"

Her proud grin just makes me love her all the more. "We've not officially been on a date yet and this is the kind of romantic stuff you see in movies so I wanted to do this for you since I know dealing with everything going on is stressful. I want to make sure we take time out to just love each other and be together."

I cross the room in seconds, pulling her into my arms. I kiss her deeply, showing my love and appreciation through the kiss.

"I don't know what I would do without you, Aiyana."