Part 11

Aiyana

"Aiyana, after dinner I want you to show Dakota around while the pack is celebrating from this morning. Before the moon crests I expect you both to be at the ceremonial pool."

I nod, "Yes Alpha."

After dinner, I show Dakota the pack house and take him to Damien's office and meeting room.

"Here's the map of pack lands."

As Dakota is studying the map I start looking around the office. I've never been in here without Damien here or expecting me back quickly. I see a drawer that is usually locked, sitting ajar.

Damien must not have realized he left it open. Or it's a trap for Dakota to determine if he's trustworthy or not.

I gently open the drawer and see a file sitting on top that has our old Alpha's name on it. I open it and have to push back vomit when I see pictures of his body.

I then see my father's and brother's names on different folders but I know if I look at those I won't be able to keep my calm.

At the very bottom of the drawer is a file with the Alpha's son's name on it.

Henry Weylyn.

I open the file and see my brother and Henry smiling together in a picture. They were best friends, the way it's supposed to be with the Alpha and his Beta. The file says he was killed with his grandmother, but I don't see pictures like the one in his father's file.

Does that mean that Henry isn't dead? Or one of his goons just neglected to take a picture for proof?

I shut the file when I hear Dakota moving around, making sure nothing is out of place, even the drawer is left ajar.

I walk back into the meeting room, "Are you ready to move on?"

Dakota nods, "Where to next?"

"The training fields."

By the time the moon crests in the sky every man, woman, and child has migrated from the training fields were the celebrations for the new members had been held to the ceremonial caves where every new Elder and every new Alpha and Beta are installed.

I take my place next to Damien as we walk into the large cavern. In the center of the cavern lies a small pool of water that has no source yet never goes dry. For generations our pack has believed that the moon goddess supplies us with these waters in return for worshiping her. There are even some that believe the power to shift into a wolf came from these waters.

There is no ceiling in the cavern, just dark blue sky surrounding the bright moon. Surrounding the inside of the cavern are torches, casting long shadows along the walls.

A drum beat starts as the Elders walk in, leading Dakota who is wearing the ceremonial headdress of the Beta. It's the headdress my father wore and the headdress my brother would have worn. My eyes burn with unshed tears as Dakota comes to a stop in front of Damien and I across the pool.

"Dakota Sawyer, you have been charged with the duties of Beta to the Guardians of the Moon Pack. Do you accept?"

"I do Alpha."

One of the Elders uses his thumb to draw a white line in a special paint down the center of Dakota's forehead.

"Will you assist in the protection of the pack from all who would test our strength?"

"I will Alpha."

A different Elder uses red paint to draw lines on each of his cheeks.

"Will you obey my commands as Alpha of this pack?"

"I will Alpha."

A third and final Elder drapes a ceremonial necklace around his neck.

"Will you put your life on the line to protect the pack should it be deemed necessary?"

"I will Alpha."

Damien presses his hand into the red paint before pressing it to Dakota's chest directly over his heart.

I take a deep breath, my turn. Even though I'm not technically the Luna yet, as I am betrothed to the Alpha, it is my duty to stand as Luna.

"Dakota Sawyer, as Luna of this pack it is my duty to ensure the survival of our pack by caring for the women and children. As Beta it is your sworn duty to protect me and my mission. Do you accept this duty and promise to never let it falter?"

Dakota's eyes bore into me as I speak and I can barely control the chills that go up and down my spine.

"I do my Luna."

"Generations ago, the Goddess of the Moon gifted our pack for our loyalty to her. This pool remains as a constant reminder of her love and why we must continue to protect and defend her people."

I turn and take a wooden cup from the side of the crystal clear pool of water. I fill the cup and turn back towards Dakota.

"By drinking from the pool you are not only making a commitment to our pack, but also to the Goddess."

I hold the cup up to his lips, his hands covering mine as he drinks the blessed water.

"Welcome Dakota Sawyer. May you serve with strength, knowledge, and love."

I step back as the entire pack lets out woops and hollers. I smile softly until I feel Damien snake his arm around my waist.

I can only imagine that seeing me act as Luna is only encouraging him. I just hope it hasn't given him the strength to take from me what belongs to Dakota. My virtue.