Part 15

Dakota- 6 months ago

"Dakota?"

I look up from my desk, "In here, Jeremy." Jeremy walks in and smirks.

"Why am I not surprised you're at your desk? You should be celebrating with the rest of the pack. Think of it as an order from your Alpha. Go have fun."

I smirk, "I appreciate the sentiment, but you know why I can't."

Jeremy sighs, walking over and sitting on my desk. "Sorry man, I forgot what day it was. How are you holding up?"

I sigh, leaning forward as I rub my face. "I'm not. It gets harder every year. Have we been able to get someone inside?"

Jeremy pats my back, "We have. I was going to wait until morning but I guess now works. They weren't able to get very deeply in before being discovered but they were able to get us some information. He has a squad of beefheads surrounding him. I'm not sure just anyone will be able to accomplish what you want to be done."

I groan, "I was afraid of that. I can't leave you here though. This pack needs a Beta."

"And until we find a suitable replacement, Carmen will stand as acting Beta."

I roll my eyes, "If you hadn't already found your mate, I would say you have the hots for Carmen."

Jeremy laughs, "We both know she does a good job, the only reason you don't like her is because she likes you and you consider yourself off the market."

"That's because I am off the market. Look, I know everyone here thinks I'm nuts for not indulging in what you guys consider fun but I can't in good conscience when I know she's out there."

He sighs, "We don't even know if she's still alive Dakota. And besides, you were both so young, there's no way you could know she's your mate."

I roll my eyes again, "I just know, okay? And if she died that night then I'll mourn and think about moving on. Until I know for sure, I'm going to do everything in my power to get to her."

Jeremy nods, "Okay. You're right, I'm sorry. I just hate to see you so depressed. So, now we need to come up with a plan to get you in there. What are your thoughts so far?"

I pull up a map of the pack lands, "If I come in from this direction, people will be less likely to come across me accidentally. If anyone does find me, I'll just say whatever I need to to get in the door. He doesn't have a Beta, correct?"

Jeremy just shakes his head, "His last Beta was killed when the guy apparently looked at his girlfriend wrong. How someone could be with this monster is beyond me."

"You assume she has a choice. Maybe we can use that too. If we can get her to flip on him then we'll have a better chance to bring him down. Do we have her name?"

Jeremy looked through the files on his phone, "I don't see a name here. Although everything about her seems hush hush. She doesn't eat with the rest of the pack and when she does show up to meals, she doesn't eat. Almost like she's too good to be seen eating with common folk."

He shakes his head, but I'm hoping this will be my way to flip this in our favour.

—————

Present day

"Dakota?"

I look up at Damien, "My apologies Alpha, my thoughts were elsewhere."

He smirks, making me want to knock his teeth out. The more time I spend with Aiyana and she tells me about how she's lived the past 15 years, the more I can't wait to bring this monster down.

"Thinking about your Mate, no doubt. We're only a few days away from the wedding, will she be joining us? With how new your Mark is, I'm sure it's difficult being away from her."

"You have no idea." I give him a tight smile before he turns back to the files in front of him.

Damien has been talking at length about his plans to take control of a neighbouring pack. For the last 15 years he's been taking control of small packs the same way he took over this pack. I learned the hard way that the only way to get him to stop is from the inside.

The Elder Council, who is the governing body of werewolf kind, have been wholly unhelpful in bringing an end to this monster. According to them, if he challenges the Alpha in the traditional way then when he wins that challenge, he has every right to the pack.

The problem, as many of us see it, is that he cheats and waits to invoke the challenge until the Alpha is already beaten down spiritually.

When he took over this pack, he made the Alpha watch as he raped and murdered his Luna. After that, any wolf would be easy to beat.

I take deep breaths to calm myself. The more I think about what he's done to countless families makes me more and more angry. He can't know my true mission. If he were to find out, it would put not only myself but Aiyana in danger.

When the meeting is over, I make my way to my cottage. When I get there, I see an envelope stuck into the door frame.

Dakota,

Every moment away from you is torturous. Meet me in the place where we met at midnight.

I smile down at the note as I walk inside. Leaving the note was dangerous, but if I'm able to spend even another minute with Aiyana it will be worth it.

At 11:30, I make my way to the tree line as quickly and quietly as possible.

I shift into my wolf and make my way towards the clearing where I kept my camp. I shift when I get to the edge of the clearing, smiling when I see her sitting on a log in front of a fire.

"Aiyana."

She turns and it makes me stop. "What happened?" I take a step towards her but she takes a step away from me.

I can see now that she's crying. "Baby, what's wrong? What did he do to you?"

It looks like she's been in a car accident almost. She had cuts and bruises all over her face and shoulders and her cheek is swollen.

"I'm so sorry Dakota. He made me. He said he would kill you if I didn't write that note."

Before I even have a chance to ask her what she means, my head splits open and I lose consciousness.