Chapter Seventeen- Hurt me Once.

This chapter will be told from Adrian's perspective.

Authors note: Before you read this chapter I would like to thank everyone for reading my story! It has been encouraging to get such good feedback and advice from my readers. I'm amazed that almost 260 people have seen my story! I can't believe it, I truly started this story due to my love of writing. This story has been a journey and I enjoy writing it every time. Thank you all and thank you for your patience! I hope you enjoy this next chapter of, "Our Hill of Stars."

"Emery!" Chris says whilst in the library loudly. The whole library turns silent, at least more silent than it was. Chris glances over me as if I'm non-existent. I had done something remarkably wrong yet again.

Chris had hit two birds with one stone...he hurt Emery and I. To me, I'd caused all of this. Some part deep down inside me convinced my brain everything would be okay and maybe, just maybe, he'd like me back. As Emery runs out of the doors Chris's uncertainty is clear. I wish I could tell you what was happening in his brain. Chris shoots me a look that teachers use often. The look of, 'We'll discuss this later.' I think every kid that goes to this school has received this look more than once.

He leaves, "Chris wait I"...I begin to say..."I can explain..." Then, he's gone in an instant chasing after Emery to fix the mess that I've created. "Chris, come back I just need to explain!" There's no use in this by now, he's gone. I'm left shattered in the remains of calculus homework that felt like years to complete. Unconsciously I grab a paper and ripped it, hours of work, trashed.

I will admit I do regret what I did to Chris, it was unfair and I shouldn't have done it. I also will admit that I sat in the library for too long. After I tore my papers I had nothing left inside of me I finally got up from the library chair and grabbed me and Chris's bag. I would have to see Chris soon, he still had an agreement with my family and I'm not sure my mom and dad would agree to let him go. Plus there was no way I could tell my parents, I'd be kicked out. They very clearly have hate for gay people that I have never understood, they'd assume I'm choosing to be gay to upset them.

That's like saying my mom choose to fall in love with my dad, she didn't, her heart did. I mean nobody truly has a choice for who they fall in love with, do they? If I did I might've avoided this chaos with Chris Moore.

                                                                            The next day.

Chris is supposed to come over today and help my mom clean up the house, that's part of his "contract". I bet he won't come, Chris owes us but he shouldn't have to be around me. I made many mistakes in my life all of those affecting Chris. Of course, how could I not affect someone through my mistakes?

"Adrian Bonifacio, come downstairs right now!" Just by the tone of my mom's voice, I could tell how angry she was with me, I could just picture her face. That mix of disappointment and anger, wrinkled brows, and a frown but not a sad frown, a frown as if she'd been drinking coffee and it tasted bitter.

"I'm coming!!!" I say and run downstairs after throwing a T-shirt on.

"Your friends here."

"My friend? Oh right...hi Chris"

Chris shifts his weight between his feet like he's made up a game of let's see how long I can stand weirdly. I clear my throat loudly and start to go back upstairs. The tensions too much, I made a mistake...I did.

"Young man where do you think you're going?" My mom scans me up and down. So I am in trouble? But why.

"I thought he was here for you...you know to help with cleaning."

"No...he called me and said he needed to speak to you. So I assumed you'd know we would have him here."

"Right, come along Chris." I bite my lip nervously and make my way upstairs as he follows behind me. We walk into my room and we both stay silent, there wasn't much to be said. There also was no way in the world I could ask my parents to let him go. For him not to be my tutor. At least not without telling them I've had a crush on a guy for 4 years and I'm gay...and he is as straight as a ruler.

"Look, before we start we need to talk. I can't pretend that nothing happened. We both know things did Adrian, but why didn't you tell me? You let your actions speak for you and I have to be honest and say I didn't appreciate that."

"I know...what I did was wrong and I'm so sorry Chris. I tried to tell you but I couldn't. Nobody knew. I didn't want people to know who I was. I guess."

"I get that completely. I know what it's like to be shutout Adrian, I want to be your friend. I think we should stay calm right now. I support you and your supposedly secret sexuality...I just want us to be how we used to be, you know? Playing in the creek, going camping, and playing football together in the backyard. I miss how we used to be, we might never be that way again but take my tirade as a peace offering?" He sits down on the edge of my bed and crosses his hands in front of his chest.

"Peace offering accepted," I smile at him widely, suddenly, times started to feel as they used to. It's as if we were friends again. It was nice and I know ultimately I will get over Christopher Moore. Hopefully, I'll fall for a gay/bisexual....available man. But for now, I'll have to keep my chin up and work my way through this. At least this time, he's by my side. 

"Let's get to work then!" Chris springs up from my bed and sits at my desk in the chair next to me. The rest of the night is endless studying but we had fun. I never even felt to urge to hold his hand, or even kiss him again. Sure it WAS tempting but I was happy. I have my best friend back, how could I not be happy?