Chapter Three- Home-cooked memories

As I ran to Emery's house I felt the urge of rage appress me, I got to her house with tears streaming down my face. I knocked on the door waiting patiently for her to come downstairs and open it. I heard footsteps coming to the door and the door was slightly cracked open by a person opening it, I felt a warm smile on my face until I discovered who it was. I almost leaped into the person's arms thinking it was Emery, the door was fully open and I used my hoodie to wipe the tears and snot off of my face. It was Mrs.Baker who opened the door she looks at me with a sparkle in her eye and kindly said: "Emery isn't home, but I can offer to cook you dinner if you'd like, Chris". All I could do was nod my head as she welcomed me into their beautiful home.

As I sat down at the bar table stool I thanked her for letting me stay for dinner, it really was nice to have someone to take care of you. Mrs. Baker asked, "why'd you stop by?" She never looked me into the eye while asking a simple question share was too busy putting ingredients into a pot, I watched her moves because I haven't had a home-cooked meal in a long time. I replied much later trying to cover up my thought of their extremely large kitchen "I.....I needed to talk to her" she turned sharply towards me "I understand" she mumbled this in such a caring tone, one that I haven't Hearn in so many years.

***Flashback****

It was the eighth-grade year I was 14, my dad was still around and he was one of many people who could keep mom sober. I had just been accepted as Emery's best-friend this day. I walked home with Emery smiling, laughing, enjoying our time together. I arched as she walked off to her beautiful home with a tilted head my thoughts were broke with the sound of yelling and screaming, from my trailer. I was so confused why would my parents be arguing everything had been so good.....as I opened the door all I could do was stare in terror at the sight in front of me.

There wear smashed beer bottles on the ground, wine glasses, cigars, and my dad screaming at my mom. I was in such shock I didn't know what to do I just know my dad was telling my mom what a horrible, awful, parent and example she was....he slapped her straight across the face leaving a red outline of a handprint on her cheek. I screamed 'not knowing what to do, the tears going down my face. I jumped in front of my mom "stop...please....stop" I screamed in pain and my dad quickly hit my face not expecting me to get involved. I fell onto the floor down with the broken glass and cigars, the tears kept coming then he was gone....he just left...Is it that easy? You can just walk out? We don't know where my dad went all I know is he filled divorce papers and didn't ever want to see me again.

I didn't go to school for weeks, my mom was useless and lied on the couch...I just cleaned having no idea what happened. Where does life take me now? I knew things would change, the main reason I've never told Rose is because I'm not sure how she'll feel, what if she hates me for my past yet I loved her.

***End of flashback***

As I was deep into thought with my flashback I had lost sight of where I was, I just stared at the floor shaking, crying, and being weak. Mrs.Baker hugged me tightly from behind with her warm embrace of a mother I wanted her to stay there forever but she let go rather quickly, she whispered "dinner is ready when you are" she walked back to the kitchen getting scoops of food on both our plates, walking back to the dining table she placed our plates across from each other and stand down. I slowly stood up feeling a little drained after crying, I wiped my face with my sleeve kicking my bag that I place next to the barstool. I sat down across from Mrs.Baker taking a slow bite of the soup she had made, my face lit up as I felt the warm taste of tomato in my mouth. After I finished my soup I commented "thank you Mrs.Bake, that was really amazing. I haven't had a home-cooked meal in a while" I pause taking a drink of water "is there any chance Emery will be back soon" she smiles at my comment "It was my pleasure, she said she'd be back around 9 p.m" I glance at the clock which read 6 p.m "would you mind telling her I stopped by?" I say grabbing both plates washing them and picking up my bag.

She stares at me an awkwardly long time with no words coming out of her mouth, "are you sure you wouldn't like to stay here tonight, I can get the guest room ready for ya". I smile "actually, that'd be great Mrs. Baker", she glances at me and walks off to the guest room cleaning it for me, I follow her to the room placing my bag at the edge of the bed. I sat on the edge of the bed watching her ramble around the room moving things, "thanks" I mumble as she walks out of my room to do who knows what.....I grab my bag and search for my phone I dial my mom's number and hear the ringing, she doesn't pick up so I try again, again, and again till finally 7 calls later she answers.

Mom: "What?" She says annoyed

Me: "Well hello to you too," I say sarcastically and pause "I went to Emery's house to do this hugeeeeeee project" I bit my lip as I lie.

Mom: "On the first day of senior year?'" She asked pretending to care.

Me: "Yes, okay bye.....Gotta go It's due this week."

She starts to respond but I quickly hang up, I hear someone come through the front door. I prayed it was Emery, it was...I got up from my bed and walked to the family room which is where she was after she got home. "Emery" I smiled trying to hide the sadness in my eyes, "Chris" she replied in a concerned tone and sat down on the couch patting the seat next to her. I laid down on the couch placing my head on her lap curling up into a ball, crying heavily, she stroked my hair but didn't ask questions. "Wanna explain in the morning," she said softly placing her hand on my shaking back and running her nails on it, "okay" I whispered and felt my eyes get heavy as I drifted off I felt her hands run through my hair, she was such an amazing friend, I have so much to tell her. These were my last thoughts as I fell asleep allowing my weight to rest on her.

                                                                              To be continued.