Chapter Four- Playing Hookie.

I woke up in the morning with light peeping in my eyes, the clock read 10 a.m. I quickly sat up waking up Emery she grabbed her chest looking frightened "We're late," I blurt out getting up from the couch grabbing my backpack. I stared at her wondering why she hasn't moved an inch she laughed "Oh come on Chris, don't be such a bore.....you and I skip today? We have matters to discuss and fun to attend" she smiled at me softly. "Fine" I mutter sitting back down calming myself, "Why did you come over last night?" She seemed almost concerned like something terrible had happened to me. "I needed to talk" she bit her lip yet it looked unintentional "Whenever you're ready Christopher". I sank back down resting my head back on her lap looking up at her light blue eyes.

                "I'm sorry" I murmured feeling a single tear stream down my cheek, she smiled running her hand through my hair "Why," she stated seeming not to understand I was a horrible human. I could see the pity on her face, she'd never seen me upset. "My dad left when I was 14," I blurted this out so quickly that my words might have been jumbled. "Wh-wh-what are you talking about?" She said this almost whispering stoping her hand from running through in my hair, I sat up placing my hand on her thigh looking into her eyes. "I uh...." I take a deep breath and shakily said "I never told you this because I thought you would not hang out with me if you knew, but obviously that was a stupid thought. Remember the day we met, Emery?" She looked down at the ground and back at me "yes" she muttered. "Well, that was the day I went home to my trailer, heard yelling and fighting from inside. I went in the trailer to reveal broken shards of beer bottles and my dad yelling at my mom because she was drinking more than usual, he couldn't keep her sober forever." A tear runs down my face and she grabs my hand that is placed on her leg.

              "I jumped in front of my mom before my mom got slapped....but my dad's hand it didn't stop. It went straight across my face and hard...I fell to the floor with the shards of glass causing cuts on my leg. He left, and he never came back. He sent my mom divorce papers but that's the last we've heard of him, he didn't want any custody of me. It was just another problem for him. So, I've been taking care of my mom for 3 years now and coming close to 4...I just guess I come here more often because I get a glimpse. A glimpse of a good life, a glimpse of a real family that I used to have, I guess sometimes it'd be nice to be the one taken care of than the one taking care of someone else. Not struggling to go to school, the only thing that's keeping at that stupid school is a scholarship if I ever lost it I'd be screwed. I have to pay for some of it but as you know Emery, I got a job at 'Dunbar's Famous Creole Cuisine'. Sorry, for the rant but I felt like you should know since you're my best friend."

                 I put on a small grin. To be honest it had gotten way to easy to put on a different face. A smile, something a person can perceive as a good sign. That's not why I smile, I smile because I needed to have hope, hope for something better, hope that there is something out there for me. All I could do right now was promised myself I would never be like my mom or dad, I want to be like the Baker family. Happy, satisfied, and sure not everything is perfect for them but I want a family....a real one. Someone who loved me as equally as I loved them because people are so interesting. People are the most precious creatures on earth, they can love, hate, heal, and hurt you all of which makes you grow. Mistakes should shape someone not break someone, I don't want to be THAT kid who gave up because his parents weren't so great, no, I RISE from it, and I will be strong.

          "Christopher...I really don't know what to say. I had no idea, I don't have much advice from you but I can offer a hug," she smiles softly turning her body towards me opening her arms up for me to hug her. I smile softly wrapping my hands on the lower part of her back holding her tightly, smelling the shampoo in her hair that reminds me of coconut. I didn't want to let go of her so I held on letting my body melt away as tears ran down my face and her calming sense of her hands on my back made me feel, cared for, loved, and like I was the one being taken care of not the other way around. She started to pull away and kissed me on the forehead sweetly, "How bout we go grab some lunch at Parran's?" I nodded grabbing my bag that was next to the couch.