sixteen → thanksgiving pt. 1

As Ricky and Reagan sang the iconic, "Start of Something New", EJ Caswell sat impatiently on the bleachers, waiting for the final bell to ring. And when it did, he couldn't help but let out a loud "YES", before cowering back into his seat and apologizing.

Miss Jenn began reading out her notes on today's rehearsals as everyone began packing up their belongings. Just as she finished Mr. Mazzara briefly interrupted to hand Ashlyn her robotics binder, leading the two teachers to launch into a conversation.

"I wish my family did cobblers," Reagan heard Carlos sigh as she walked over to the group, "My family does a three-protein meal and is in bed by six o'clock."

Big Red scoffed, "My folks start eating at dawn and barely make it in time for the Macy's Thanksgiving Day parade."

"At least your parents are sticking around," Ashlyn sighed. "Mine are going to some spa in Park City with EJ's after dinner."

"Aw. I'm sorry Ash," Reagan placed a hand on the girl's shoulder. But while Reagan was comforting the red head, Carlos and Big Red had another idea brewing in their mind.

"Um party at Ashlyn's?" Carlos spoke as more of a question.

Ashlyn immediately nodded her head. "Yes, like a late night party?" She excitedly glanced around at the three.

"I never not want that," Carlos grinned.

"Should we keep it a small group or-" But before Big Red could continue his question, Carlos had invited everyone in the bomb shelter to the party at Ashlyn's.

Everyone began cheering, making their way over to Ashlyn to see if she needed anything for the party.

Reagan said her goodbye's to her friends before making her way over to Ricky. "Hey stranger," she nudged his shoulder.

"Hey you," he smiled.

Trying to suppress her feelings for Ricky was harder than expected. Everything he did now caused a tsunami of butterflies to break out in her stomach. She was a stuttering, fumbling mess around him. She couldn't even remember what it was like to not be so nervous around him.

"You goin' to Ashlyn's tomorrow?" he asked the girl, throwing his backpack over his shoulder as the two began their walk home.

"Um, I'm not sure." Reagan bit her lip.

Ricky furrowed his eyes and looked across at Reagan. "What? Why not?"

She sighed, shrugging her shoulders. "Not really in the party mood."

The past few weeks had been pretty crazy for Reagan, Ricky knew that. And of course she wasn't going to heal overnight from her mother randomly reappearing, but she seemed so ok the last few days. Ricky stopped in his tracks, gently grabbing Reagan's arm to stop her too. "What's going on? Is everything ok?" Concern flooded his eyes.

Reagan sighed, and shook her head. "I'm definitely just overthinking things, but I had two missed call last night at two in the morning, from my mom..." she trailed off.

"What're you thinking bub, what's running through your mind?" He asked, placing both his hands on her shoulders.

"I-just. She said she'd be out of our lives for good. No communication. But then last night, not one call - but two, Rick. I just have a bad feeling, but I also don't want it to just be a drunk call or a butt dial or something stupid."

He could see that Reagan was struggling to talk about it right now, being that she has yet to come to terms with her thoughts really. So instead he shrugged his shoulders, "ok, well if you're not going then I'm not either." He stated, slipping his hands off her shoulders and began walking again.