two → seniors are allowed to wear hats

September 5, 2019
Salt Lake City
East High School

"Ricky we're going to be late if you don't hurry the hell up!" Reagan threw her arms up in the air, frustrated with how long this stupid boy was taking

"I'm coming, I'm coming!" he yelled, running his hands through his hair one last time and fixing his outfit. Ricky wasn't normally one of those self-obsessed guys who spent hours fixing their appearance. Today was different though. Today was the day he and Nini got back on track.

Eons later, Ricky, Reagan and Wes were on their way to East High. Reagan nervously bounced her leg the entire ride.

"Ray you're gonna be fine," Wesley laughed at his younger sister. "Plus you have Ricky with you!"

"I know, I know."

Wes parked in what was known as the Senior parking lot. The three got their belongings out of their car and made their way towards the school.

"Listen, I gotta run to the athletics office to meet the soccer coach, so I'll see you later?" Wesley raised his eyebrows at his younger sister.

Reagan nodded, and gave her brother a warm smile. "Have a good day, I'll see you later."

Just as Wesley walked away, Big Red spotted his two friends from across the parking lot. "Hey guys!" he shouted, getting the attention of the two teens and a few seniors.

"Hey Big Red," Reagan smiled at the boy. "How ya feeling?"

"I'm great! How you feeling Ricky? " Red asked as the three stepped inside the school building.

"You know what, I'm great. Today's the day. It's happening," he said confidently, assuming his friend was asking about his reunion with Nini.

"Heck yeah! Junior year baby!" Big Red said, throwing his hands in the air victoriously. "Might grow a mustache. Might do a lot of things."

Reagan laughed softly, placing a hand on Red's shoulder. "Not sure that's exactly what Ricky was referring to, huh?" she raised her eyebrows towards Ricky, causing Big Red to let out an 'oh'.

"Dude, I'm talking about Nini. Today's the day we start over." Ricky said proudly, his chin held high.

"I dunno Rick, maybe you should see what she thinks about that," Reagan pointed out, carefully.

Ricky shook his head rapidly, and shot the girl a look of confusion. "Look, we texted. She sounded neutral," he said, shoving his phone in the girls face. "Nothing about bad news or needing to have a big talk. Just 'hey'. That's good right?"

Worry took over the boy's face as he looked over at his two friends.

Big Red sighed, "Summer's are no man's land Ricky. I don't know what 'hey' means and neither do we, right Reagan?"