(The Legion) Frank Morrison x Reader

Title: Origins
CW: foul language, violence, knife usage, injury, death

"Hey, Joey." I look up from messing around with my blank-faced mask, watching as Frank puts his hand on Joey's shoulder. "What do you say we go ahead and mess up the good ol' Shack, huh?"

The Shack, formerly known as Ormond's Music Shack, is the old music dispenser in the mall. Joey used to work there until he was fired due to his poor record. "I say hell yeah, that place deserves to go down for firing a helpless teenager." He gives us puppy eyes, wiping a fake tear away.

"All right, this is gonna be interesting. We set off at dark, all right?" Frank looks at us each, waiting for our nods.

When the sun finally dips below the horizon, we meet up at Frank's house, masks in hand. "Ready?" He asks. I pull my mask down and tug my hood over my head. Julie, Susie, and Joey follow suit, waiting for Frank, who puts his mask on last. I notice the hunting knife in his hand before he tucks it into the waistband of his jeans. "Let's go."

We take off, hopping into Joey's car. We drive to the Shack, excitement growing. Joey picks the door's lock, holding it open for us. We enter the building, which is dark due to the fact that it's closed for the night. Joey flips the lights on and grabs a can of spray paint. He writes out "Fuck You," on the window, a signature smiley face at the end.

I stand beside Julie, who opens the cash register. I watch as Susie searches the cds and records along the shelves. I brush my hand across the counter, a thin film of dust coating my fingers.

"This place really needs to hire a janitor, huh guys?" I grin. "I wonder when these counters were last—" Two arms grab my shoulders, yanking me backwards and into someone's chest.

I shriek as I'm held in a headlock, my hands grasping at the stranger's arms. Julie drops her hands, eyes wide behind the expressionless mask she wears. Susie looks over, the disc she's holding slipping through her fingers.

I squirm against the grip, panicking, when suddenly, he cries out. A warm liquid seeps through my shirt and onto my skin. His weight shifts onto me, and I have to push my hands against his chest to keep him from crushing me. He loses his balance and sinks back against a shelf, holding his side with a grimace.

I look over at Frank, who stands behind the man, a bloody knife in his hand. I back away, feeling the warm liquid on my shirt with my fingers. I stare at my trembling hand, which is now coated in a dark red.

Frank holds the blade out and, much to my dismay, says coldly, "Kill him." A sound of horror leaves Susie's lips, her hands held over her mouth. When no one steps forward, Frank raises his voice. "You know he'll call the cops and we can't risk having a witness! We have to kill him!"

After a horrible moment of silence, with the only sound in the room being the man's rugged breathing and gasps of pain, Joey finally reaches out and takes the knife, his jaw set. He grabs the wounded man's shirt and lifts him so he can stab the him in the ribs. Susie backs up as the man continues to whimper, panicking as Joey releases him. "I can't do this! W-We weren't supposed to—"

"We have to, Susie!" Frank shouts at her. "Do you want to go to jail? We're a team, you know that! Now stab him!"

She cowers back, watching in disbelief as Julie grabs the knife and hesitantly slides it into the man's chest. She tosses me the blade, which is now wet with blood. I look down at it, my heart pounding. The slick blade threatens to slip out of my weak grasp.

I feel like I'm watching myself from another point of view as I swallow hard, grip the handle tight, and thrust it into his neck. I'm unable to tear my gaze away from his face: eyes wide with horror, blood dripping down his chin and lips. The contact doesn't last long, however, because as soon as I pull the knife out, he slumps over, collapsing onto the ground with a sickening thump. I nearly drop the weapon as I catch sight of the blood on my hands.

Nausea makes my stomach turn. Frank gently takes the blade from me and puts it in Susie's hands, holding them steady. He lifts the man's head and helps her insert the knife deep into his throat, even though he's no longer alive. We're all in this together, I guess.

I look away from the body, instead focusing on my shoes, which now have blood on the rims. I notice that I'm standing in a pool of the dark liquid and back away, mortified. Frank walks over, easily stepping in the blood to approach. He lifts his hand to my face, skin covered in red. He curves his stained finger over my mask's lips, smearing the blood into a smile.

He gazes at me, intertwining our fingers as he takes my hand. I squeeze, trying to hold back the tears that threaten to spill down my cheeks. I close my eyes, wondering if this is a dream, a terrible nightmare. "Let's clean this mess up." It's those five simple words that remind me that this is real.. That we actually just killed an innocent man.

He releases my fingers, the faint warmth of his touch disappearing with his hand. He picks the cleaner's mop up from the wet ground, handing it to Julie. He passes out two more, one for me, one for Susie. I glance at her, hesitant, while Julie starts to mop up the blood. Susie and I follow, still shaken, while Joey and Frank lift the body up, hauling it outside.

I try not to breathe through my nose, the bitter scent of blood heavy in the air. We clean up all traces of red while the body is thrown into the trunk of Joey's car.

We meet the boys outside, watching as Joey shuts the trunk, smearing blood onto the white paint. He wipes it off with his jacket's sleeve, wordlessly backing away. We get into the car, the drive to Mount Ormond silent. I lean on Frank, staring out the window and at the trees that pass. When we arrive, we grab the shovels and pop the trunk. We begin to dig up a hole for the body, our breath fogging the cold air around us. Frank stills, looking towards the forest. "What is it, Frank?" Julie asks.

He doesn't respond, only pulling out the blade, which is still covered in blood. "I'll be right back." He heads into the woods, disappearing behind a cloud of mist. We finish digging, panting as we haul the body into the gaping hole.

I look at the woods, frowning. "Frank should be back by now.." I say quietly.

"You're right, we should go find him." Joey says, pointing out the muddy footprints in the snow. The fog is heavier and heavier the farther we travel.

"Frank?" I call out. "Where are you?"

We stumble onto a path, Frank standing in the middle of it. "There you are!" Julie says. "What are you doing out here?" Frank looks around quickly, as if he hears something we don't.

And then the sound is picked up, a shrill humming echoing through our ears. "You guys hear that.. right?" Joey asks.

"Yeah.." Susie whispers.

The ominous sound encourages us to travel deeper into the forest. We follow the noise, never looking back.