then

Chapter One

"Haven't I told you already that I'm still not sure if I'm gonna make it?" I hold the phone using my left hand as i rummage my bag in search for my keys. "I'm tired mom. I've been awake for almost 48 hours. I'll just call you later okay? Bye."

I waited for her to end the call as I open the door of my condo. Hinagis ko agad ang phone ko sa kama the moment I entered the room. As usual, this loud silence is what welcomes me always and it is music to my ears. After a long and tiring day, I am finally home.

I hurriedly fix my things and before going to bed, I grab my laptop and sit at the chair near the balcony. I have to do some things first.

It's 12 midnight at almost 2 days na akong walang tulog dahil kailangan ko punan ang shift ni Shay, the other resident that I work with, na nagkaroon ng chicken pox. It just so happen na I am the only one who can fill her spot while she's away and guess what? The ER were swamped with people. I am dead tired at this moment. I hurriedly finish what needs to be done and after that, pinatay ko na ang laptop ko at dalidaling humiga sa kama.

One of the reasons why I love being a Med student. The number of hours that you are awake is greater than the amount of sleep you can have. And that short amount of time is the only time wherein I can get some good and decent sleep. The extreme exhaustion drives you to sleep the fuck up without allowing any thoughts in your head. Instant sleeping pills. Life hack. Thank me later.