FOURTEEN

Over the next few days, Eleanor had been introduced to the tanned, spiky haired boy she had seen at school. His name was Jacob, and - according to Bella - he was a werewolf.

He seemed surprised by her uncaring attitude, to which Bella just told him to get used to it - there wasn't much that would actually cause a reaction from Eleanor.

She also met the rest of the pack, seeing as they were the ones watching over her and Bella.

Apparently her nonchalant philosophy seemed to leave a lasting impression, with the younger ones especially. Seth and Embry seemed particularly enamoured with her, flexing their abs as they introduced themselves. Eleanor shook her head as she retreated back inside, smirking as Embry called out.

"I could watch over you in your room if you want? Some one on one time?"

Eleanor spent a few hours with Jasper, over the last few days, in the daisy filled field as she practised her power. Refining the control she aimed to exercise.

Their relationship had been different, since Jasper's question. Both of them had acknowledged that they cared for the other, but now an air of uncertainty had settled between them.

Eleanor didn't regret her response, it distanced them just as she had hoped. But she couldn't deny the longing she felt to be honest with him - instead she simply embraced the numbness, drowning her feelings with it, it made it easier to be with him.

It didn't go unnoticed by Jasper. He felt the return of the emotional detachment, loud and powerful as it rolled over him - as if all the progress she had made had regressed.

He walked her home after each session, seeing as the intruder was still at large, and she relished each moment of it.

Eleanor arrived home to find Charlie and Bella in the kitchen, both looking down at a missing poster. After making herself a cup of coffee, she joined them.

"Who's that?"

As she caught sight of the face printed across it, she felt her heart momentarily stop.

It was him. The red-eyed intruder, but he looked different here. He was smiling, happy and innocent.

"Riley Biers. Local boy missing in Seattle."

Eleanor took the poster from the table, analysing each detail carefully, "You mind if I take this?"

Charlie agreed reluctantly - not sure what use she would have with it, but he had a whole stack of them in the cruiser.

"Bells, you making dinner tonight?"

Eleanor answered before Bella could, "Me and Bella agreed to have dinner with Cullen's tonight - if that's okay?"

Bella sent Eleanor a strange look. Charlie looked between them, before shrugging, "Sure - I wanted a steak anyway."

"We should probably go, actually."

Eleanor grabbed Bella's keys for her and marched out the door, Bella said a quick goodbye to her dad before following.

"What was that?" Bella questioned as they got in her truck.