SEVEN

Eleanor woke in her bed. For the first time since the accident she felt well-rested, her slumber was dreamless and she was thankful for it.

Then she felt it; annoyance.

The flicker of irritation of being woken from the first sleep she had achieved in days. The emotion was dilute but she felt the slight heat in her chest. And then the joy of realization - no matter how subtle, she was feeling.

"Mornin' sleeping beauty."

She looked up to find no other than Jasper Hale sat in her desk chair, analyzing her carefully. He could feel the emotion in her, it was ghostly - faint and fickle, detachment still loud in the background, but he felt a sense of pride in her.

"Jasper"

Eleanor looked up to her window, the light shining through - it was morning. Her mind slowly remembered last night, the burning of anger still torched into her veins.

"Eleanor," He stood from his seat and approached her, "What were you doing out in the woods last night?"

She read the concern and curiosity on his face.

"What were you doing out in the woods last night?"

Jasper crossed his arms as he huffed at her evasive answer and sat on her bed. She still wore the damp clothes from last night - a simple cropped tank top and joggers, yet she showed no reaction to the cold.

"I was walking-"

"You were angry."

Eleanor wasn't sure how he knew about her emotional outburst and wasn't sure how to respond. Maybe the truth.

"I was."

"Why?"

"I'm not sure Jasper,"

He couldn't deny that he enjoyed the way his name rolled off of her tongue.

"But I'm glad I was. I haven't felt-"

"Anything?" He interrupted her, "You haven't felt anything for a long while."

It was if he could read her, look into her soul and understand even the intimate truths about her. Had he known the whole time?

"I told you - the accident took everything from me, including my emotions. Until last night."

"What happened?" His voice was almost pleading in his question, asking her to be honest.

" I- I don't know. It was all really fast. I was numb - like always - and then I felt it bubbling up inside me. So I went into the woods and-"

The memory of the dark figure suddenly struck her. Watching her as she imploded with anger, she was blinded with rage but it looked cloaked in darkness, it's face hidden beneath a hood.

"What?"

Jasper noticed her hesitance, the tiniest flash of fear radiating from her.

"And then it burned through me. I was angry, but anger like I've never felt before - pure rage."

"At what?"

"Myself."

Her stony eyes dropped from his, dejected for a moment before she put on an unfeeling mask - embracing the numbness that still drowned her. She had grown comfort in it, the security of not having to feel the hard emotions, the ones you locked away at the back of your mind.

Eleanor wondered, maybe it was best for to remain heartless.

"The accident - what happened?"

She was nearly caught off guard by the question, contemplating how to reply.

"It was a drunk driver, they crashed straight into us, mum and dad were dead on impact. I was in the back seat so I wasn't hit as hard, but I died on the way to the hospital. I was clinically dead for four minutes and forty four seconds before I was revived."

Jasper seemed like he was deep in thought, absorbing her words, not surprised by the absence of melancholy as she spoke of her parents anymore.

"You should get some rest."

He stood from the bed, walking over to the window before noticing the sheet music on her desk. He brushed his fingers delicately over the paper, interpreting the notes.

"You wrote this?"

Eleanor nodded as he read over her soul in notes, scrawled across the ledgers.

"What do you play?"

"Piano."

"You should play for me, I'm a sucker for classical."

He didn't wait for a response as he lifted himself out of her window and slid out.

Eleanor watched from the window above her bed as he landed almost supernaturally. She knew Jasper was different, but now the question was loud in her head;

Who exactly was Jasper Hale?

-

A/N;

How am I doing?  Obviously it's getting more interesting now, I hope you have questions.

We know what Jasper is but what is Eleanor?