TWELVE

Jasper couldn't deny Eleanor's beauty. As the light filtered through the skylights and onto her pale face, he admired her simple elegance.

At first, his attraction to her was merely caused by the oddity of her emotions. But she continued to surprise him with her blunt and uncaring persona - yet he knew that beneath it was a bleeding heart. One that cared for him.

He could feel it;

In the way that her numbness would fade as he neared.

In they way that the ghostly emotions that remained in her would intensify when she looked at him.

In the way that her heart would almost miss a beat when he spoke.

The fact that she pulled at his heartstrings was indisputable, whether it was a good thing or not? He didn't know.

Eleanor woke whilst the sun rose, casting a glow of peach light against her white walls. Her mind drifted to Jasper at once, but as her sleepy eyes surveyed the room, she realised he was gone.

The odd heaviness of disappointment weighed on her heart - although she quickly shook it away.  He had no obligation to her.

Anyway, Eleanor decided these feelings of hers were simply a projection of her desire to feel. Whilst her returning emotions grew stronger she subconsciously needed someone to center them around - so she didn't implode with the pressure of her emotional crisis. It was simply her mind's survival instincts.

This is what Eleanor had convinced her self of as she showered and dressed for school. Which seemed rather pointless to her now.

She had completed her A-levels in London - taking them early due to her academic progression - so had no real use for the classes she was attending in Forks. But she had been ordered to go by her therapist, as a way of normalizing her life after the accident.

So, she sat in Edward's car with Bella as he drove them to Forks High School - something that won't help them find the intruder or help Eleanor control her power. It all seemed like a waste of time.

Nevertheless, Eleanor dragged herself from lesson to lesson. Spending each one contemplating the events of last night - her mysterious stalker and the powers with which she had defended herself with. It was all very confusing.

And then the strange relation to Henry Martin's circumstances. The revelation that her death may be inevitable.

She considered how she was spending her time - pointlessly attending a school for a diploma with which she has no use for when she may only have a few weeks left of life.

So as the lunch bell rang, she stood and walked along the halls - moving past the cafeteria and heading towards the exit.

Eleanor made it halfway through the car park before she was intercepted.

"Where are you going?"

Jasper's southern drawl sounded from behind her, she stopped.

"I'm not sure, but away from here - there's no use me being here."

"You are aware there is still a rogue vampire around Forks, who's hit list you are most definitely at the top of after last night - yet you are going wandering into the woods alone."