Chapter Forty-two: Back to Iris POV

I lifted my head. I felt like I was gagging as blood pooled out of my mouth. I pressed my hand to my torso.

"Iris" I felt hands on me. I shook my head trying to clear my vision. Ares was crying. It was the saddest sound that I had ever heard. I couldn't remember ever having heard him cry like that.

I closed my eyes as Byron came into my view.

I opened my eyes to find Ezra and Thomas next to me. They were each grasping a hand. I lifted my head.

"I'm fine" I groaned. My torso was aching from the wound. "That was awful" I groaned. "I am seriously starting to hate sharp objects."

Within the next few days, I was awake but I wasn't allowed to move around.

I finally left the infirmary. I was glad to get out of there. The wounds were healed. I had the scars from the blade on my biceps. The wound on my torso had healed perfectly but the other wounds hadn't. We would go home in two weeks and it was a vacation that I was looking forward to.

I just wanted to get away from the school. I wanted to take some time off before we had to get back.

The fourth quarter Ranks had been cancelled because Michael had been murdered and I had been tortured.

I was doing my best to get through it. There were days that were better than others. My fears were worse at night. I couldn't sleep. I was having nightmares and I was doing my best so that the boys wouldn't notice.

"Are you okay?" Ezra asked me. I gave him a dirty look. I didn't want them to keep an eye on me constantly.

"Fine" I answered briskly. "When are we going home?" I asked.

"Soon" Ezra touched my hand briefly. "As soon as grades are posted, we get to go. Just hang in there"

I nodded in response. the last couple of weeks I had pushed myself into my studies. I had made myself stay on top of my work. I had two weeks until finals. I would finish up with a bang. I had to since the final Rank had been cancelled.

"Hi" Byron smiled at me.

I was seated outside trying to enjoy the sunlight. I had taken off my jacket. I immediately tried to put it on. I had the ugly scars on my arms, which would never go away. I had tried all kinds of salve but nothing had worked.

Byron sat down next to me.

"Don't hide them" Byron told me. I turned away from me. He put his hand on my back and I stiffened. He quickly lifted his hand, removing it.

"How are you holding up?" he cleared his throat.

"I'm fine" I answered. "Just trying to get through finals" I lifted up the notebook in my hand. I avoided looking at him. He had seen me at the infirmary but I hadn't talked to him very much.

"Iris"

"There is nothing to talk about Byron" I answered. I took a deep breath. "I'm okay. Don't worry about me, you don't have to anymore" I shrugged. I felt his hand on my arm and I pushed it away. "Don't touch me there" I hissed. Tears came to my eyes but I blinked them away.

"Iris" Byron replied calmly. "Just talk to me"

"No" I met his eyes. "I can't" my voice was low. "I can't- I could barely talk to Ezra and Thomas. You don't- you wouldn't understand. They they barely did. I know- I heard it in their heads- I heard their thoughts" I took a deep breath. "I have to go"

"Get into my head, iris" Byron blocked my view. "You know I mean it. I won't judge you- god, I can't judge you. I don't know what you went through for weeks. I wasn't there- let me help you. Let me help you get through whatever you need to" he took my hand. "Please"