Chapter Thirty-seven

Ronald took us to dinner while we waited for Ares to get back. I thought it was going to be awkward having dinner with him. I imagined an uptight Guardian.

"Did you like your Guardian training?" I asked trying to make conversation. We had ordered something fast so we could be ready to go when Ares got back.

"I struggled through my training" Ronald admitted. His eyes wrinkled as he laughed. He clearly found it amusing. "I wasn't the fastest or strongest. I was always the last one to finish behind Phillip and George. Dr. Nan loved to threaten to demote me if I didn't Rank first at least once but I was useful"

"How so?" Thomas questioned him.

"I was the first born Guardian" Ronald replied. He seemed to be thinking about what he was going to say. "I was bonded to King Aaron in a way that it was easy for me to connect with him. Each of us possess a quality- King Aaron and I were able to mentally communicate which had its uses without ever having to learn to form a Mental Link."

I was the first born. The idea of being first born had always nerved me. I knew the first born Guardian had a greater responsibility than anybody else in the Guard or any other Guardian. Now that he was talking about being mentally connected. It worried me even more. I wasn't sure if I liked being connected to William in such a way. I would rather be connected to Thomas and Iris.

I wasn't sure how I felt about William becoming King. Thomas and I had known him since we had been kids. I was worried about having to serve him. He was a spoiled brat. He had to always get his way and if he didn't, he would call his parents.

I was hoping he grew up when he took the throne because otherwise we were going to serve a bratty child. Thomas had mentioned that we probably wouldn't be serving William. I was hoping he was right.

"Were you worried about being a Guardian" I started to eat. "Did the idea of serving ever worry you I mean not in the physical sense?" I could feel Thomas looking at me. I had never discussed my fear with anybody. I should be able to tell Thomas and Iris what I was feeling –that I was worried about serving William but I couldn't. I was the oldest. Ronald gave me a small smile. He understood what I meant.

"Yes" Ronald took a deep breath. "It is normal to worry about it because lets face it you have three hundred or so members that will be serving you and you will be serving the Crown Heir. All eyes are on you to either mess up, take the blame or to lead carefully. It is stressful but it is one of the most rewarding life and I don't see myself doing anything else. You are going to not just be a Guardian but also an advisor, a friend, leader and so forth. There will be times where you will be forced to stand up to your King to ensure what they are doing is right. You'll know when –we have a good sense of morality." He gave me a comforting smile. "I would worry if you weren't full of self-doubt"

I didn't answer. I was thrilled at being a Guardian. I couldn't see myself going to a regular high school and not training. I was just worried about not making the right choices and about not being able to a Guardian.

We couldn't even take care of Iris right now. I wasn't sure if I could protect our entire population of Immortals.

I felt guilty that I hadn't been able to take care of Iris. I felt responsible that she had gone missing. I should have walked her back to the hotel. I should have made sure that she was with me at all times.

I felt like I had failed.

Me too, Thomas muttered in my head. I didn't look at him as we ate.

I heard a tap on the window. I looked up, there was feather fluttering in the air.

"Ares is here" I told them. I got up and went outside. There was map attached to his leg, I took it and stuffed him into my jacket. He pecked my cheek in response. He said Iris treated him better, not like a mascot.