Chapter Eleven

"He isn't right" Ezra leaned in across the table. They had gotten me out of my room. I wasn't very hungry. I felt rather miserable. "He doesn't know- he is merely saying"

"He's an asshole" Thomas's lips thinned. "He is your instructor, he is supposed to be encouraging you not putting you down. I'm going to talk to him"

"What for?" I cut him off. "You know perfectly well he doesn't care what we think."

"He should know that we all think he is a dick" Ezra muttered. Ezra looked past me. I turned and followed his gaze.

Byron was walking in with his friends.

"Asshole" I mumbled in my breath. Like if he had heard me, he met my eyes.  He started to make his way over to us.

"What do you want?" I snapped at him, as soon as he was within earshot.

"I see you have told Ezra and Thomas" Byron glanced at the guys. They were both glaring up at him.  "I have spoken with Dr. Nan. He isn't going to pull you out. You will be in the first Rank"

"Why do you want her out?" Ezra rose to his feet.

Byron lifted an eyebrow at him. A smirk appeared at his lip.

"Your sister isn't near ready to be in a Ranking, Ezra " he gave Ezra a look like if daring him to insult him.  "You have seen her during training"

"She is improving" Thomas got to his feet too. "You need to remove your sword out of your ass and encourage her, Byron. You are her instructor- act like it douchebag"

My mouth fell open. Ezra did a double-take.

"She is still weak and slow- she isn't going to hold up against her opponent" Byron leaned in towards Thomas who didn't flinch away. "Do you want to see her lose?"

"Do you think your attitude is helping her any" Thomas snarled at him. He leaned towards him. I got to my feet. I put a hand on his arm.

"Thomas- its fine" I cleared my throat.

"I know my student better than you, she will lose at her Ranking "

Thomas shoved Byron backwards. I got in between them. I shoved Thomas backwards.

"Calm down- let it go. This isn't about you" I tried to calm him down.

"He insults you- he is insulting all of us." Thomas grabbed my hands and moved me out of the way. Some of Byron's friends were making their way over to us. Drake and Vino were slowly walking towards us. They looked amused.

"Thomas" I looked over at the Second Series students that were coming to probably defend Byron. "Stop it- just calm down."

"Listen to her" Byron told him. "I would calm down if I were you."

Heads were turning to us. Half the dining hall was quiet now.

"Or what Mr. Big Shot, you'll kick my ass. I want to see you try" Thomas pushed me out of the way. He took a step towards Byron. "Do you think I'm going to stand by and hear you put Iris down."

"Thomas" Byron put up a calm hand. "I am only helping her. It won't benefit any of us if she loses during her first Ranking."

"You could be a little more supportive" Ezra stepped in beside Thomas. "Don't be such a fucking asshole."

"Guys" I squeaked. I could see where this was headed. "Calm down" I put both my hands on their chest. "Back away, come on"

"Move aside" Thomas grabbed my hand. He didn't bother looking at me.

"Ezra" I snapped at him. "Let's go, help me out here" Ezra didn't look at me either. I tried to grab Thomas arm but he moved me with his arm.

"Listen to her" Byron smirked. He looked really amused. He didn't look worried. That bothered me for some reason. The second series students didn't see us as threats.