Chapter Seven

Saturday morning. We wore woken up at five in the morning. Nobody was up yet and the sun wasn't even out. It was pitch black when we got to one of the training meadows.

Byron was present with Dr. Langston and Dr. Nan. I was still annoyed with Byron for dislocating my shoulder.

"How's the shoulder" Byron smiled.

"Fine" I retorted.

"Morning, Guardians" Gregory smiled brilliantly at all of us. "Let me introduce you to a former member of the Guard Rupert Tret" he held out a hand to an elderly man behind him.

I was shocked. I was expecting a middle-aged man. He had to be ancient.

"He will be joining us" Gregory grinned.

Ezra yawned loudly next to me.

"Is this the"

"No, he has an affinity for electricity and daggers. The taller young man Thomas is the boy I told you about"

"Yes, yes" Rupert looked over Thomas. "And the young lady is"

"Our female Guardian" Gregory turned excitedly to Rupert. "She is the mirror"

I lifted my eyebrows. I was sure he was referring to my ability to copy gifts.

"So we have a mirror, a conduit and a traveler" Rupert looked at each one of us. "Nice combination, well elected this time around"

He looked over at Dr. Nan and Dr. Langston.

"Thomas come here" he waved him over. He told him to stand in front of him. "Ezra stand next to Iris"

Thomas positioned him with his back to us. Rupert silently signaled us to move directly behind him.

"Have you ever carried someone before" Rupert asked. Thomas tried to turn but Rupert kept his hands on his shoulders. "No...keep your eyes in front of you"

"I have, sir."

"Just one person" Rupert asked.

"Yes sir" I saw Thomas nod.

"Okay, let me play out a scenario in front of you. Ezra and Iris are in danger. They are being held captive...their lives are at risk right now. You have to rescue them...I want you to find them without looking behind you and rescue them"

"Sir, I've never"

"The longer you take...the quicker they might die"

Thomas tried to turn but Rupert held him.

"I need you to clear your mind. Relax"

I heard Byron cough. I turned to him and he lifted his eyebrows at me.

"They are coming to take Iris right now" Rupert muttered behind him. "They could hurt her..find them Thomas."

I could see Thomas lowering his head. He suddenly disappeared in front of us and he reappeared where we had been standing. He looked at us and he was in front of us.

He put both his hands on us and we started to shake. I could see his face was stern and he was sweating. I felt like if I was suffocating. I closed my eyes tightly as we were thrusted into a tight space.

We reappeared on the ground. I was on top of Ezra.

"Shit sorry guys" Thomas got to his feet. "I didn't know"

"Well you moved maybe a foot" Rupert said in front of us. "I guess I was too hopeful....nevertheless good job Thomas."

I rubbed my ribs. I felt like I had been kicked.