Chapter Forty-one

I was able to sleep peacefully. In the morning, Thomas and I went to go see Iris. She was up, eating.

"Morning" her eyes were blood shot like if she had been crying.

"Morning" she replied softly. "I have been thinking of a way so Charles can be arrested."

"I have an idea" I answered. She met my eyes briefly. "We bring them in and tell them that you want to testify" I smiled at Thomas and at Iris.

"and we tell them who we are" Thomas replied. He reached over and took off Iris charm necklace. "I want to see his face when he finds out who she really was, and he was so close to figure it out."

I smirked in response. Iris looked at each of us and she nodded.

"I'll tell him myself" she answered. She grasped her arm tightly. I reached over and brushed her hair away from her face.

"I'm glad you are up and talking" I smiled at her. "Has Byron seen you?" she looked away. She hastily started to eat again.

"Yes, he was here early in the morning" she replied. She didn't look at any of us.

"Then why were you crying?" I took a seat next to her.

"Wouldn't you be happy to see him?" Thomas sat on the other side.

"I didn't want to see him." she shrugged. "I don't really want to talk to anybody else besides you guys." She took a deep breath. "Nurse Gail told me I can leave soon. She just wants to hold me for a few more days to make sure the wounds are healing properly and I haven't lost it" she shook her head.

"You'll be okay" I put my hand over hers. I could see tears in her eyes. She closed her eyes briefly. "You've got us."

"I'm really trying" her voice was shaky and low. "I'm trying to take it one day at a time"

"Don't think about that" Thomas touched her face gently. "Concentrate on being here with us, try to push those memories away" Iris took a deep breath but she nodded. She cleared her throat. She didn't cry but there was a sad look on her face. She no longer had that joyful look her eyes.

"We are glad to see that you are up" Rima smiled down at Iris. Thomas and I were standing in the corner. Byron was standing at the foot of the bed. He hadn't lifted his eyes from her since walking into the room. Dr. Nan and Dr. Langston were also present. They were standing behind her.

"And talking- we have asked the Guardians to be witnesses to your testimony as you suggested" Dr. Nan smiled briefly at her. I couldn't wait to see the reactions on their faces when Iris told them that Charles had been involved.

"They were trying to find out who the Guardians were" Iris spoke clearly. I stared at Charles.

"I didn't say anything- I said the cloak used to belong to my fathers'- he said something strange. He said 'he saved my life, so I won't kill you.' He thought I would die before anybody would find me"

Iris lifted up the ring. I saw Charles twitch slightly. I noticed his thumb rub his finger. Ronald was wearing his. Dr. Nan and Dr. Langston took a step forward. There was confusion expressed on their faces.

"You know what's interesting" I laughed. Eyes were on me as I walked around to take a seat next to Iris. Thomas lifted his head. "That person never asked the right question"

"He should have asked "Are you the Guardian?" Thomas sounded amused. Charles mask fell. I noticed the confusion appear on his face. His face soon cleared up.

"You hurt one of us, we will hurt you in return" I met Charles eyes. He looked amused by my threat. "That's right, Charles. We are the three Guardians, how does it feel to be so close yet so far?" I smirked at him. Rima was shaking her head.