Chapter Ten

----Eyre's PoV----

"Scarlet, stop!" I raced into the clearing.

"An assassin just tried to kill you," Scarlet said, "These two are of the same group."

I heard a creak of wood as the boy in the far end of the clearing lowered his bow, "We're not."

"So are you in the other rebellious group?"

"No, as a matter of fact both want us dead," the boy said, "Just gently put Rayna down, she's recovering."

Scarlet took a look at her, "What happened?"

"She got caught in the crossfire," the boy said, "Let her go and we can talk."

I nodded, "She's not the one that tried to kill me."

Amias walked up behind me, "You're lucky you yelled before she slit your throat."

"Ash warned me," I said, "Scarlet, let the girl go."

Scarlet warily lowered her dagger and rested the girl on the floor. The boy raced across the clearing and grabbed the girl.

"Names?" Scarlet asked.

The boy sighed, "You're blunt. Azariah Sun and Rayna Ivanova."

"She can't answer for herself?" Scarlet asked.

"For goodness sake your the second group of mysterious people to try to kill her in the last two days," the boy called Azariah said, "She's terrified. That and she's still in shock."

Scarlet asked, "From what?"

"She got attacked and shoved off a cliff," Azariah said.

"That wasn't the rogues, that was you," the girl known as Rayna said. I vaguely recognized her voice.

Amias asked, "If she's your friend, why did you attack her and shove her off a cliff?"

"We're not going to explain that right now," Azariah said, "Long story short, a group of rogue assassins split from the assassin's league and is plotting to kill Kugen, king of assassins. I tried to warn her, and now we need to get back to our group and warn them too."

"They start assassins this young?" Scout asked.

Rayna laughed softly, "Again, blame him."

"Anyone going to introduce themselves?" Azariah asked.

I nodded, "This is Amias Swallow and his sister Amber. Scarlet, Scout. I'm Eyre."

"Then the assassin that just tried to kill you is Storm," Azariah said, "I thought we'd have more time to warn everyone."

"I probably need to explain a little more," Rayna said, "When I was sixteen, I was on a plane. Kugen rigged it to crash so that he could recruit Azariah. I survived, Kugen nearly killed me, and Azariah agreed to train me if I survived the burns from the explosion."

I laughed, "Alright, any more backstories we need to know."

"Let her finish," Azariah said.

"Before that plane crash, I lived in a city. I was an exchange student," Rayna said, "My name was Suni Sari, but the concussion caused me to lose my memory. Azariah helped me fill in some of the blanks."

I gasped, "You're my sister? Suni?"

"I'm so sorry I don't remember anything," Rayna/Suni said, "Kugen used me to convince Zoya and Regina to join the assassins, and he's going to brainwash them. If he succeeds, they'll die in the battle between him and the rogues. If he fails, the rogues may kill them anyway."